advertisement

George Benjamin

wacko

pfm Member
Caught the end of a documentary on him. Very interesting, very English and obviously very talented. Put his name in Search here and nothing: no love for his works here ?

I've heard some of his music and it had its moments that were interesting and atmospheric - but its never going to be popular, or even much heard outside a narrow Avant-garde set. I think he studied in Paris with Messiaen & unfortunately also with Boulez, so probably beyond redemption now. His recordings of Messiaen's music with the Concertgebouw are pretty good.

By coincidence someone just gave me a recording of him playing Stravinsky, Debussy and Scriabin (hardly avant garde!) at the Elbphilharmonie in March - PM me of you want it.

I began to take an interest in Benjamin's music because of his connection to Messiaen, but found most of what I heard rather underwhelming. The piece that really works for me the ravishing and ethereal Dream of the Song, for countertenor, chorus and orchestra. I heard this in Paris, conducted by Daniel Harding, along with some Wagner and Brahms, and I think it can be found on youtube. I might try his opera Written on Skin if it is performed again.

advertisement

Back