advertisement

Gearbox all-valve 7" set

Hadn’t noticed this thread. I took a punt on this last week when the notification email came through. That stated there are only 60 copies so anyone wanting one needs to move pretty sharpish!

From the email:

There are only 60 boxsets available in total and we are offering first dibs to our dear subscribers before we make them public! ”

Just playing this now. It’s really nice and diverse, everything in here from jazz to funk to world to solo violin. Obviously a total pain getting up to flip/change record so often, but hardly unexpected. Singles are singles.

Just playing this now. It’s really nice and diverse, everything in here from jazz to funk to world to solo violin. Obviously a total pain getting up to flip/change record so often, but hardly unexpected. Singles are singles.

What did you make of the way they've been recorded Tony? Listening to the preview tracks the thing that really jumped out for me was the drum sound - we're so used to hearing a relatively close miked kit whereas this obviously sounds like a kit being played in a room.

What did you make of the way they've been recorded Tony?

It’s very nicely done. I’ve a fair few direct cut record from the 1970s Crystal Clear label (their Charlie Byrd 45 rpm LP is worth hunting down, truly astonishing drums) through to the wonderful Night Dreamer jazz label of today. I’m far from convinced the technical advantage amounts to much, but it does force a certain discipline both in the band’s playing, recording and production as there is obvious no room for error, no ability to fix a part, no opportunity to remix etc.

My criticism with the format is that this technical restriction can lead to the band being overly restrained and cautious. A lot of audiophile label direct cut records are awful IMO (e.g. I never got on with Sheffield Labs), the band (usually no one of note) often sounding stilted and unenthusiastic and the results sound unmixed and just badly balanced. They also tend to be cut cautiously quiet for obvious reasons.

Gearbox and Night Dreamer do tend to have avoided this nicely in the most part, I guess because they have access to such a remarkable amount of fresh new talent. I’d highly recommend the Gary Bartz & Maisha, Seun Kuti, Sarathay Korwar or if you can still find it the Emma Jean Thackray 12”. Any from Night Dreamer are good to be honest, as are Gearbox regardless how they are cut, e.g. the Binker Golding album sounds superb by any standard.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back