advertisement

Gear you love the look of

The 708’s 28mm-thick panels were formed by sandwiching polystyrene foam between two sheets of Melamine. It worked really well from a performance point of view, giving the speakers an astonishing clean presentation for a model at their price.
THis is what reminded me to make my Zigmahornets from polystyrene. It worked! Made a lovely sound.

Quad 33/303, Quad 34/606, Quad 22/II (…might be developing a slight bias here ).

Classic Chrome Bumper Naim gear.

Garrard 301/401 (slightly prefer the 301).

SME Model 10 (still figuring out how to afford a used example!), and Model 15 (my dream deck).

Michell Gyro SE. Technics sl1000r.

Chord Hugo TT2 DAC. Denon DP-S1 / DA-S1 CD/DAC. Sony SCD-1. Naim CDI.

My old Grundig TK20. Pioneer RT-707.

JBL L100. Quad ESL. Wharfedale Linton Heritage.

That’s the short version!

Pass Labs pre-amps and phone stage such as the XP22 and XP27

XP-22_fp.jpg

Last edited:
1496761-1200b259-martin-logan-prodigy-electrostatic-loudspeakers-priced-to-sell.jpg

22 years ago I walked into a high-end gear shop in Toronto and tried these beauties. I had never seen anything that looked like these before, the way they seemed to produce sound out of thin air seemed like magic - it was love at first sight. They were the first serious pair of speakers (and the first pair of electrostats) I had ever auditioned, though they were well out of my budget at the time as I was scarcely 18 years old! I was absolutely blown away by them (if memory serves, they were being powered by a great big Krell amp). I lusted after them for years and was quite disappointed when ML changed the design of their speakers around 2005 as I greatly preferred the space-age looks of the 1989-2004 generation of ML electrostats. Over two decades later, I still love the look of them.

I still fondly remember the experience with the Prodigy's as they were my first taste of the rarefied air of high-end audio. I have been chasing that dragon ever since.

I always liked the Meridian 101,103 and 104 amps. Also liked the clean looks of the Meridan M2 speakers.
A fluted LP12 plinth admirer, still have my late 70s Afromosia still fitted with an Ittok and do still have my Asak, keep wondering how much it would cost to get re-tipped etc and how it would compare to modern cartridges.
I like ATC Speakers, the functional looks complement the excellent SQ

I was awed the first time I laid eyes on them in the late 70s. Forty-five years later, they still look timeless. I'm talking about the amazing Yamaha NS-1000Ms of course.
You can count me as a fan as well! No desire to part with mine.

Green print Creek 4140 & T40.
A&R cambridge A60.
Inca Tech The Claymore.
Naim Olive series.
Titanium front Sugden A21a.
Pioneer SA-8800 blue line.

Kyocera PL-910.
Miro Seiki AP-M1.
Linn LP12 with Fluted plinth.
Rega P9 & 25.
Technics SL 1000 Mk 2 in obsidian plinth.
Voyd Reference in gloss mahogany plinth.

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back