advertisement

Gary Clark Jnr, Glasto '16

Some top guitar players play the blues because they want to. Proper blues guitar players play the blues because they have to. Mr Gary Clark jnr is one of the latter

His "Live" album is great. Not a huge fan of his other albums as he tends to blend other types of black music that I'm not really into, however this is a great track..

I like his sound, he can certainly play too. Heard he did a great cover of 'midnight rider' live that I'm still looking out for.

Saw him at the Eric Clapton British Summer Time day in Hyde Park in 2018 and he was a real highlight.

He's an Austin, Texas man and we have friends there, going to Austin City Limits festival for four years in a row. Missed 2019, when he appeared - would have been a great home town gig. There's a YouTube of it out there - he has a great band.

I only recently checked him out, though I’ve known of him for some time. I don’t usually go for modern high-energy blues, but I make an exception in his case.

His more recent blending of genres other than blues are worth investigating. This Land has become a firm favourite here.

Presumably "This Land" is based on the run-in he had with his neighbour when he and his wife bought a ranch in Texas? The neighbour didn't believe "some ******" could have bought it.

Don't y'all just lurv the US?

Presumably "This Land" is based on the run-in he had with his neighbour when he and his wife bought a ranch in Texas? The neighbour didn't believe "some ******" could have bought it.

Don't y'all just lurv the US?

Not surprising at all. I dated a girl from Oklahoma for 12-14 months and it didn't take long to realise most southern states are similar in that sense to Hull where I was born.

I remember swimming at the Hilton in Athens overhearing an old lady ask someone 'who let the black guy in?', loud enough for him to hear.

advertisement

Back