advertisement

Garrard plinths.

Paul Dimaline

12" round member
I have been using a Loricraft clone for some time now and have been more than happy with it. To my ears, even with a RB300 and cheapo MM I prefered it to the LP12 it replaced. Even so, I have always wondered how the more common (certainly to DIY 'ers) solid plinth approach would compare.
So, out came my first prototype plinth. This origionaly had 4 layers of 18mm birch ply as a base, then a 18mm top plate resting on 4 squash balls cut in half.
To use this base as a solid design I had to add a further 18mm layer of ply to the top. This is make up the depth needed after removing the half squash balls. Rather than make a new top plate I simply removed the one from the Loricraft clone. I glued it to the base with 4 small blobs of glue applied to paper as I wanted to be able to remove it to put back on the sprung plinth.
So how did they compare. Well, in short, the Loriclone won.
The solid plinth had awsome dynamics, far better than the suspended version which tended to soften the leading edges slightly. Bass notes were perhaps deeper although not by much, but the sound did seem more powerfull somehow.
In all other area's the Loriclone edged it I felt. Treble was slightly dull on the solid plinth, and the sound had a feeling of being over controlled. Impresive at first, after a few hours it became a bit much, rellentless almost, although not harsh or fatiguing.
Converting back to the suspended plinth everything seemd so much more natural. Gone was some of the attack of the solid design but it was replaced by a more "relaxed" sound, but one that lacked nothing when it came to excitement. Sparkle is not a word usually assosiated with the Garrards treble but there was more of it than with the solid plinth.
So, my curiosity has been satisfied. I realise it cant be assumed that my findings are gospel, it is only my opinion after all. Bare in mind that I came to the Garrard from a LP12, which I liked very much and perhaps it can be argued that I prefer the Sondeks presentation. Possibly someone listening from a less coloured TT's veiwpoint may prefer the solid design? Perhaps some fine tuning would redress the ballance, I dont know. I have a feeling that the solid plinth may respond to what it sits on more than the suspended plinth, but I dont have a stand big enough to accomodate either.

Paul.

Paul

Your findings substantiate Loricrafts theory that a 401 will sound at its best when the TT is fixed in a lightweight top plate which in turn is suspended on four squash balls over a heavy plinth.

I would imagine that the other alternative is to have a solid plinth on an air suspended table such as Voodoo or Seismic Sink.

If your clone as acheived that, then your next best bet is to move to an MC cartridge and then a better arm such as an Aro or SME 1V.

Regards

Mick

Some pictures.

First the solid plinth minus the top plate.
dscn01074ah.jpg

Then with the top plate fitted.
dscn01054mn.jpg

The Loriclone plinth.
dscn01084ps.jpg

The finished article.
dscn01090wd.jpg

Paul.

Mick,

The deck will remain as it is untill the rest of the system has cought up a bit.
Birthday is in July if your feeling generous ;)

Paul.

Paul

Loricraft reckon it is very cost effective to pay the £130.00 for the Incognito mod to the RB300.

That might be a move to consider.

I have to say, the finished product looks good and it is a credit to you.

Regards

Mick

Paul,

I have a Bastin plinth which is a solid design but with some added features. It doesn't sound relentless to my ears, but I've never heard a Loricraft or a Loriclone design for comparison. It has the motor mount cage decoupled from the top plate, by mounting on nylon pylons. It has a little damper foot just touching the bearing base from the underside, and it has cuts in each layer that isolate the 'quarter' of the deck where the tone arm is positioned.

The solid plinth is sensitive to what it's placed on, I've found that rubber feet are better than solid ones, for example.

I'm sure there's no absoulte right way of doing a 401 plinth, the most useful next step is addressing the motor power supply. Getting the motor voltage reduced will give even more ease to the sound.

Peter

Hi Peter,

My solid plinth is about as basic as it can get to be fair, but does seem to be a popular choice for DIYers, hence my trying it out.
I was aware that there is far more to the Bastin plinth than alot of plywood, however I did not realise there were slots cut in the layers. The Amphelion plinth also attempts to breakup standing waves in this maner and also (I think) has a decoupled armboard. Thats why I didnt call my solid plinth a Basticlone!!:eek:

Paul.

Paul,

Your solid plinth is not far off an older, say pre 2003, Bastin plinth. he didn't start putting the slots in until having the all the layers prepared by Computer controlled cutters. The Amphilion plinth, which I have not heard, had a compliant mounting for the armboard block. In my view compliance is not desirable between arm and main bearing.

Peter

Does anyone have ccontact details for Martin Bastin? Have just been let down after waiting for 3 months to get a Loricraft style plinth made and can't afford their very high prices. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative?

Well, the poor guy at StoneAudio's had lots of calls today. The plinths were stopped about 2 years ago, they cost £200 then but most demand was overseas and they invariably arrived broken. Shame, I suspect the density and weight would have been perfect.

Metallifan

I recommend caution.

I confess that I have yet to hear a 401 or 301 in a solid marble plinth but the majority of those that have, prefer the Loricraft type. That is the platter being housed in a lightweight plinth which in turn is mounted and suspended via squash balls on a very heavy base.

If you want marble then perhaps it would sound better if it copied the Loricraft style.

Regards

Mick

This is a concern as the concensus does seem to be light top plate decoupled from a massive plinth.

Both the Shindo Labs and the Bastin plinth are solid high mass affairs as were the Slate audio models,I have never heard any of these,also the 'Bertoni' plinth looks quite attractive,I am interesred in buying and using a Garrard,but Loricraft seem to be the only company that make a light top plate /decoupled/heavy plinth.Are the rest all wrong/no good?

PS Paul, your 401 looks great!

Metallifan

I cannot comment on the others because I have not heard them.

All I can say is two things. Loricraft are obsessed with the Garrards and have experimented for years with every variation to extract the best sound out of them. They live and breathe 401/301's and their opinion is widely respected. They chose the current design after years of tinkering around.

Everyone that I have spoken to who has heard Loricraft v the others all prefer the Loricraft.

I admit they can be frustrating to deal with but persevere as it is worth the wait.

Regards

Mick

advertisement

Back