advertisement

Garrard DD-75

Alan

Knob Twiddler
In my quest for a very cheap TT for someone I got a Garrard-DD75.. Does anybody know anything about these ? I did some web searching and couldn't find much.. It was only £25 though.. I think I got a bargain.. ? :)

My Garrard DD-75

Anybody got any thoughts on it or the arm / cart ? Anyone got a setup manual or any other information ?

Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Does anybody know anything about these ?

IIRC it was Garrard’s attempt to reinvent itself in the late 70s in light of masses of Japanese imports. I suspect it was actually made in the far east not in Mick’s beloved Swindon. It was never a contender and didn’t do well commercially, shortly afterwards Garrard went under and stayed there until Loricraft recently bought the brand name.

Basically Garrard made just two great decks (the 301 and 401) both aimed at the broadcast market and a load of real budget crap for music centres / radiograms plus the half hearted Zero 100 which was a interesting design but poorly implemented. Once decks like the Pioneer PL21D, Trio KD33 and Sansui 222 became popular Garrard had one last stab and attempted to compete with the DD75 and a couple of similar decks. It was very much a budget offering.

Still for £25 it is useful as an entry to record buying – I’d not put anything better than a AT95E in it, it may actually be better suited to a dance DJ cart as the arm is IIRC pretty hopeless!

Sorry not to be more positive.

Tony.

Hi

I think the Garrard DD 75 dates from the mid 70s & was their first direct drive. I'm sure it was built at Garrard in Swindon. I agree with Tony L in that it was up against stiff competition. Some of the late 70s decks from Garrard were poor.

I do have a soft spot for Garrard because the first turntable i bought was a Garrard GT255 in 1981. The turntable that got my interest in hifi was a Garrard SP25 V (or was it a IV). My brother bought one of these & I was hooked. The disco version was a Dave double decks special. A big hit in the DJ world.

I think Shure cartridges were used in these. I would go along with the idea of using a DJ cartridge such as a Stanton or an Ortofon as these are not as fussy.

Well it's an interesting deck so have fun.

Dean

This was the first TT I bought when I shopped looking only at specifications-back in 1977. About 80 quid from Comet and used with a Shure M75-ED cartridge. Horrible, horrible sound. The built in strobe light showed it to be very speed unstable and constantly hunting-probably due to bad servo design. Acoustic isolation was also non-existent. Recordings made on this table when somebody in the next room was playing a sax showed very audible breakthrough. I initially blamed the very poor speakers (don't laugh-Amstrad) for the overall poor sound, but a couple of years later I had the chance to plug in my Systemdek/Syrinx PU2 into the same system in place of the DD-75 and it was transformed beyond recognition. It still pains me to think that I could/should have gotten a Planar 2 for the same price. Avoid this toxic piece of equipment. Oh, the much cheaper SP25 mk IV proved to be a better player too.

I have just brought down my Garrard DD75 from the loft where it has sat for many years, and am about to set it up again, so that I can play and transcribe old LP's.

It has a Shure M75ED cartridge - probably needs a new stylus.

I'm looking for setup instructions / manuals, but as Garrard are no longer in business, I cannot locate any documentation.

I haven't set up a TT since I put the this one away, so any help/documentation would be appreciated.

Thanks.

DD75Review.jpg

advertisement

Back