advertisement

Garrard 401 for beginners

Thanks Tony Ill report back when I get a chance to put it up against the 401 ;), might have to stick another arm on it to give it half a chance though

Alan

Regarding Lencos, I know a former 401 owner who now has a Lenco with a nice plinth and a Notts Analogue Anna with a Decca cart. It sounded really great (and I was prejudiced against Deccas before hearing this) - one of the most engrossing decks I've ever heard. Perhaps he will chip in to this thread eventually. He is on a bit of a tonearm odyssey at the moment and I'm yearning for him to sell me his Anna. I thought it was a great match both sonically and visually, but apparently a Schroeder has entered into the foray.

Incidentally, he had a 401 with a PU7 before that, so standards are pretty high!

I have a Lenco (more accurately, some parts of a Lenco), and a 401. Would like a Notts Analogue of some description if I ever go back to belt drives. I have a Morch DP6 which has been used on both the Garrard and Lenco, currently on the latter with a Dyna 17d2 Mk2 on board.

The Lenco has rounded corners (thanks Mark):
DSC_0128.jpg

Not the current arm configuration, of course.

Finally I got to compare the 401 and LP12 on equal terms:

Both decks using an OL Silver Mk2 and AT33EV. The results are pretty much as before; the same either/or.

The 401 is open, spacious, full of the joys of spring, if just slightly diffuse. The LP12 is focused, compelling, dynamic, if a little too forward at times.

I feel that I'm hearing more clearly what the Sole sub-chassis is doing on the LP12 now; it seems to iron out both the slight sogginess and the upper bass muddiness I was having issues with, but it doesn't change the basic character of the LP12. If anything it makes its character clearer, since I'm not distracted by bass issues.

As it is then, I couldn't really let go of either decks. I'm comparing in my second system at the moment, since the main one has been disassembled for building work. It will be interesting to do the same comparison again next week. Perhaps with a third deck thrown in to make things more interesting.

advertisement

Back