advertisement

Garrard 301 restoration - south of UK

Fizzy

Have inherited my late father's 301 that he bought new in 1957 I think and would like to find someone who can restore it, set it up in a new plinth and ideally supply a new arm and cartridge. I'm based near Portsmouth and would be grateful for recommendations and any advice

Not speaking from personal experience - me and my 301 are at the wrong end of the country - but I suspect Audio Grail would be a good place to start. They don’t seem to have much of a web presence these days but they have a Facebook page.

Martin Bastin. Post it to him in Shropshire and he will rebuild it and put it in a MaxPlanck plinth with the arm and cart of your choice. You then get the excuse for a weekend in beautiful Shropshire during which you pick it up.

Well, it's what I did and I couldn't be more delighted with it (401 in my case).
IMG_6323

Have inherited my late father's 301 that he bought new in 1957 I think and would like to find someone who can restore it, set it up in a new plinth and ideally supply a new arm and cartridge. I'm based near Portsmouth and would be grateful for recommendations and any advice
I currently run a 1963 (6 yrs younger) 401 serial# 1205, which was unmolested and in its original plinth when i got it. Apart from giving the linkages a quick clean and re-lube I've done nothing to it apart from a replinth. Just because something is old doesn't necessarily mean it needs fettling, my 401 runs sweet as a nut.
For a really nice plinth contact Paul Knipe at Solid Sounds in Leeds, he's a hifi nut, a true craftsman and does beautiful work.
He built this for my 401, more than happy for you to pop up to Chichester to see it, and judge his work, also bring your 301.
WiUjCZ2.jpeg

As for an arm the world is your oyster, Paul can supply an arm or you could buy one that floats your boat and he would prep the plinth for it.
I'm more than happy to come and assemble the resultant parts (301, plinth, arm) and setup the cart for you.
If you would like me to help you with this project just send me a PM and we can sort something.

Martin Bastin. Post it to him in Shropshire and he will rebuild it and put it in a MaxPlanck plinth with the arm and cart of your choice. You then get the excuse for a weekend in beautiful Shropshire during which you pick it up.

Well, it's what I did and I couldn't be more delighted with it (401 in my case)

Seconded. Dr Martin Bastin is the 401/301 expert. Keeps a low public profile but when you know, you know.

What the plan @Fizzy ?

I have a 301 which needs to be serviced. Does anyone know how difficult it is to strip the linkages and send them someone(?) for re-plating to replace the cadmium?

I'm wondering how difficult it is to self-service a 301.

What the plan @Fizzy ?

I have a 301 which needs to be serviced. Does anyone know how difficult it is to strip the linkages and send them someone(?) for re-plating to replace the cadmium?

You won't be able to get them replated in cadium, probably be nickle plate.

What the plan @Fizzy ?

Neiro has offered to service the turntable for me and set it up in a new plinth. This sounds like a good option and I just need to buy a plinth, arm and cartridge and I can then get things moving

advertisement

Back