advertisement

Garrard 301 - New plinth!

amd500

pfm Member
Having spent quite a while considering the various plinth options for my recently acquired Garrard 301, I have invested in the SMD Acoustics Reference plinth. A good number hours were spent listening and comparing to a slate skeletal and a solid ply body that were both on demo. I am extremely pleased with the sound and to my ears the granite was the best choice, giving a superlative bass performance, incredibly solid and deep without being sluggish or boomy which in my experience, some of the wood plinths can be. Combine that with the incredible quietness (minimal surface noise) and you get this amazing sound-stage that's so deep you can pinpoint everything in 3D.

I have just visited the site after a newsletter from them and seen the latest
plinth with a solid chassis 301 deck, this is apparently a new 301! It looks
absolutely stunning, if it sounds as good as it looks then I don't think there
is anything out there to beat it.

Has anyone here any experience of the Classic HiFi solid chassis 301?

www.peakhifi.co.uk/cgi-bin/smed.cgi?Command=ShowNews&db_nid=47&Start=1

They also have NEWLY Manufactured Classic Hifi 301s at £3000

The new plinths are CNC machined from a solid slab of aluminium.

The hardware, linkages, fascia plates, platter mat etc. are all built to replicate those classic looks but utilising up to the minute modern engineering techniques.

They look stunning in gloss black finish.

I wonder how the platters are made? there is no mention on the web page.

ClassicHiFiA301forth12.jpg

The platter will be a short run casting turned up on a lathe as per the original. Easy enough and relatively cheap in short run numbers.

It is probably not worth saying this, because people are so 'emotionally invested' in the old Garrards. But , even well serviced and with a good plinth, they are just a bit 'rough' in the upper mid-range and treble. These days, I wouldn't bother, you can do better for less, although they are a great bit of 'kit' in historic terms.
Yes, I know, they are perfect when properly serviced and with the 'right' plinth; only, they are not!

My Garrard is better than the LP12/LingoIttok that went before it. What's better for the bread? (Please say Lenco, I have one as a "project")

My Garrard also went along to two FlatP bakeoffs and acquitted itself well against some real exotica in spite of being the second cheapest deck there that day and only having a DL110 cartridge.

Perfect? No. Very good? Certainly.

It is probably not worth saying this, because people are so 'emotionally invested' in the old Garrards. But , even well serviced and with a good plinth, they are just a bit 'rough' in the upper mid-range and treble. These days, I wouldn't bother, you can do better for less, although they are a great bit of 'kit' in historic terms.
Yes, I know, they are perfect when properly serviced and with the 'right' plinth; only, they are not!

You can`t be serious, something designed 50 years ago is no longer State of the Art?

I've owned about 12 Linns, a Xerxes, a P9 and Spacedeck and I can't hear a lot wrong with the 301!

Nothing is as nice as a Jota.:) Do you prefer the 180 or 120 crank version?

As for Lencos, I know that out of the box they are no 301/401 but people have done spectacular things with them and had superb results.

I've still not heard what is better than a 401 for the money. Say £500 these days - what have you got? Don't say LP12. Notts? Roksan? Pink? WTA? Hard pressed to get these for £500 without arm.

That's my point Steve. Most people don't want to rebuild a turntable. They don't mind sourcing a new plinth or fitting an arm or even getting someone to do it for them but only the serious ones should consider a Lenco and by the time they're finished there's only the platter and motor left to call it a Lenco.

I've just sold my 401. It was a difficult choice but I couldn't bear to part with my Empire and though it isn't as flexible as the 401 as regards arm choices etc I thought it had the edge so that was that.

My 301 sounds a heck of a lot better than the Roksan Xerxes I had before.

It's not an entirely fair comparison because the 301 has a much better arm than the Roksan, and after 23 years, the Roksan is a little tired and the plinth is starting to sag.

They also have NEWLY Manufactured Classic Hifi 301s at £3000

The new plinths are CNC machined from a solid slab of aluminium.

The hardware, linkages, fascia plates, platter mat etc. are all built to replicate those classic looks but utilising up to the minute modern engineering techniques.

They look stunning in gloss black finish.

I wonder how the platters are made? there is no mention on the web page.

ClassicHiFiA301forth12.jpg

That looks stunning. Must get a bigger paper round and start saving up!

"A bit rough in the upper midrange and treble" sounds more like a problem with your cartridge, mate!

Urushi, Benz LP?Comparison decks SME 30-12, Orbe, Pink Triangle, Thorens 124, Rockport Sirius, . And others. And I have heard at least a dozen of the Garrards, and owned three, all expertly serviced, one in virtually 'new' state. The Garrard does have 'issues' and you can hear them. That's not to say it is not a lovely bit of kit, or worth owning. I am just trying to point-out that their reputation has got a bit out of hand. But I know a lot of people want to close their minds and convince themselves .....so I won't say any more. But I know what I hear, a lot of other people hear it too. Enough. Enjoy the decks.

Comparison decks SME 30-12, Orbe, Pink Triangle, Thorens 124, Rockport Sirius, . And others.

I've never had the resources available to play in the Rockport or SME 30 league, though I can say that to my ears my slate plinthed and Loricraft serviced 301 probably has less 'issues' than the other decks I've owned (LP12, Xerxes, P9, Spacedeck etc). I'd not want to go back anyway. The other thing is once set up it is blissfully trouble-free in use; rock solid with regard to foot-fall, 3 speed, near instant start-up, stays level etc etc. A great tool for the job, as is the 124, and I have one of those too!

I'm not sure their reputation has got out of hand. Even at the inflated prices people are prepared to pay today, you can still put together a nice 301 for a lot less than a new SME, Linn or Rockport.

I agree. I didn't pay for my 301, but did have to get it restored and a plinth made. Even had I paid the going rate for the deck itself, it would have represented very good value - I can't think of anything else I could have bought which would have sounded as good for the money. It's also the only bit of hi-fi I've ever owned which looks nice.

advertisement

Back