advertisement

Garrard 301 loud pop through speakers

PeteyB

Hi, I'm the happy owner of a 301 and have been using it over the last few years. An intermittent problem I have heard is a loud noise or pop through the loudspeakers while the platter is spinning. This may happen at any point while playing a record or not at all for several records. There is sometimes a much quieter noise when starting and stopping the deck but this is a lot scarier. I have a reasonably new spark suppressor in place and was wondering if that was starting to fail already.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help point me in the right direction.

If you’ve already replaced the spark suppressor (which is really only for switch-on/switch-off) I’d look very carefully at grounding. Ensure you have earth continuity from the mains cable to the deck’s chassis and motor (actually test it with a multimeter - I like to know I have earth right through to the centre spindle that the record touches). That done thoroughly check your tonearm earthing. It all needs to be right. Some combinations of external SUTs, phono stages with crappy wall-wart PSUs eyc can make getting a good solid arm ground hard work. This is certainly my bet here rather than the 301 being at fault.

If you’ve already replaced the spark suppressor (which is really only for switch-on/switch-off) I’d look very carefully at grounding. Ensure you have earth continuity from the mains cable to the deck’s chassis and motor (actually test it with a multimeter - I like to know I have earth right through to the centre spindle that the record touches). That done thoroughly check your tonearm earthing. It all needs to be right. Some combinations of external SUTs, phono stages with crappy wall-wart PSUs eyc can make getting a good solid arm ground hard work. This is certainly my bet here rather than the 301 being at fault.
Thanks for that really prompt reply Tony. The arm is SME 3012 and is earthed to the DNM preamp. Could that then not be connected properly at the arm base of the SME?

I'll have to find a friend to get all tested with a multimeter. Probably best to rest it until sure. Thanks again.

advertisement

Back