advertisement

Gardening

The aluminium will corrode and go dull.

It will likely look shabby PDQ but it depends on how the aluminium has been finished - if it has been laquered it will last longer before corrosion sets in, but not a great length of time.

The cost is peanuts when looked at against current material prices, otherwise I'd suggest trying to find someone locally to make the metalwok from A2 (or preferably 316) SS.

I have no idea about £££ - but how about getting the metalwork anodised locally after purchase? Or chemically blacked?

Now that is nice - a subtle statement piece.

Glass suffers from build-up of dust/grime, but is dead easy to clean on that scale, outdoors - hose it off.

My only reservation would be what holds the glass together.......................All too often I have seen this sort of thing built using low grade SS or not even SS - rust stains are a total PITA to get off glass. It isn't really obvious how the one on the link is held together....................... except that the join, column-top, is probably aluminium..............so beware. Although getting turned SS replacements for feet and joint might be so-so expense - less than £100.

All the compost heaps that I have had, have been full of worms, so long as they don't dry out - brandlings mostly. A compost heap is all that anyone needs, although small ones (under something like a metre square), will always struggle as they dry out too fast.

trees-in-piccadilly-garden-manchester-city-centre-uk-B9G09T.jpg

This is Piccadilly Gardens Manchester -- any thoughts about what the trees are? Some sort of Poplar? Liquidambar? I'm looking for a columnar tree about 15m max, fast and cheap and hardy and easy ;)

Anyone use a
Wormery ?

Yes, we have one with 3 or 4 tiers. It's pretty small, less than a foot square. The worms don't seem to have much of an appetite, so it's not much use for getting rid of stuff, and equally you don't get much out of the wormer either. It also seems to require quite a bit of intervention to keep it going. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I think it's pretty much a waste of time.

Anyone use a
Wormery ?
Dig a hole.
Put some garden rubbish, compost material, veg peelings in it..
Put the earth back on top and let the worms have a party.
Come back a month later and wonder where the stuff has gone.
Repeat as necessary.

It's the ideal solution for leaf disposal. Dig a trench, sweep them in, return the earth.

Cucumbers enjoying the sun, August sown and planted out in September, Tanja outdoor variety.

Tomatoes are setting too so we might have fresh Matina for Christmas.

Even out doors we're still getting loads of Courgettes, tomatoes are over so just ripening off the last bucket full slowly.
Cucumbers.jpg

This is Piccadilly Gardens Manchester -- any thoughts about what the trees are? Some sort of Poplar? Liquidambar? I'm looking for a columnar tree about 15m max, fast and cheap and hardy and easy

Very difficult without a pic' of a leaf but they look like fastigiate beech, esp. with the leaves still being on them.

As for the fast, hardy etc. - if you find something that fits that list, let the world know as I doubt that anything satisfies all those requirements.

Tomatoes are setting too so we might have fresh Matina for Christmas.
Even out doors we're still getting loads of Courgettes, tomatoes are over so just ripening off the last bucket full slowly.

I know October is mild but that's amazing, unless you're not on the British mainland. Our few remaining tom's are in the warmer small g/house and are still struggling on knackered plants. Outdoor ones disappeared 2+ weeks ago.

I grew Matina for a few years (with a dozen other varieties) and found them a bit 'meh' compared to others but outdoors any tom. would taste better.

My large g/h only has a few spr. onions + herbs. All my peppers have been picked in the small g/h. For some reason (the extreme summer?) this g/house season came to a more abrupt end this year. At least the runners revived but they'll be gone shortly. Big freezer is choc-a-bloc, so progress.

Very difficult without a pic' of a leaf but they look like fastigiate beech, esp. with the leaves still being on them.

As for the fast, hardy etc. - if you find something that fits that list, let the world know as I doubt that anything satisfies all those requirements.

Well watch this space for updates about how my E. gunii experiment goes -- plant them in twos 1m apart, and coppice one of each pair every two years. If it works it should have the effect of a narrow silver column about 3m high, permanently.

trees-in-piccadilly-garden-manchester-city-centre-uk-B9G09T.jpg

This is Piccadilly Gardens Manchester -- any thoughts about what the trees are? Some sort of Poplar? Liquidambar? I'm looking for a columnar tree about 15m max, fast and cheap and hardy and easy ;)
Is it the Manchester or black poplar?
One of the few trees that could survive 19th century urban pollution.

That was a good watch Gav, thanks. I very much like what he's doing there and could listen to him talk a lot I think. One of those soothing voices like Monty has and seems a jolly decent fella too.

'£400,000: formerly a lot of money' was funny.

He didn't really say much about no-dig itself, but then I suppose there isn't a fat lot beyond don't dig and pile on compost. Must make a cover for mine as they're getting doubly soggy with all the rain on top of me peeing on them.

He didn't really say much about no-dig itself, but then I suppose there isn't a fat lot beyond don't dig and pile on compost.

Yep, not even pile it on, just enough. I try to make enough but I don't use more than a couple of bags of bought in. Sod digging! I grow salads in the main these days.

I know October is mild but that's amazing, unless you're not on the British mainland. Our few remaining tom's are in the warmer small g/house and are still struggling on knackered plants. Outdoor ones disappeared 2+ weeks ago.

I grew Matina for a few years (with a dozen other varieties) and found them a bit 'meh' compared to others but outdoors any tom. would taste better.

My large g/h only has a few spr. onions + herbs. All my peppers have been picked in the small g/h. For some reason (the extreme summer?) this g/house season came to a more abrupt end this year. At least the runners revived but they'll be gone shortly. Big freezer is choc-a-bloc, so progress.

We're near Colchester, only about 30m above sea level which helps. It's been much warmer than expected.

Just thought i'd give it a go as i had a few seeds and half a bag of compost spare. The Matina have been very tasty for some reason and i'm very impressed with Crimson Crush, loads of potatoes grown around here so high blight risk.

Great to have a full freezer; might do a few batches of basic Rat next year if it goes this well. Had a bit more time for watering this year as i lost my assistant sprayer operator job which was about 1200 hours.

advertisement

Back