advertisement

Further throughts on the Gustard R26...and how to make it better.

rontoolsie

pfm Member
I have lived with the R26 for almost a year, and found it to be an extremely transparent source.

IF you pay attention to the details, it is a bona-fide high end front end.
These extra details however take it from a $1650 player to a $3000+ player.

Here is what I have done to the Gustard, in order of increasing price...

1. Replacing its internal fuse with a higher spec one.....I have tried both the HiFi Tuning fuses at $50+ and the Gustard fuses at $25+ and they are about equivalent, and both superior to the provided fuse. If you are a non-fuse believer than skip over this- at your own peril.

2. The R26 is extremely sensitive to the support it is placed on. I have tried a variety of different supports, and by FAR the most effective was the $50/3 Herbie Audio Labs soft Tenderfeet. Because of the asymetrical weight distribution, there was a better support with 3 Tenderfeet than 4...which cuts the cost by $17.00
The effects of the Herbie Tenderfeet have got to be heard to be believed. Without them the bass was quite curtailed as was the dynamics and soundstaging. Putting in a triplet of them sounded like a multiple kilo-buck improvement for just chump change. And yes, I also tried far more expensive supports.

3. The quality of the mains cable matters....I easily noticed the difference from the generic cable to some $250 Pangea 14XL.

4. The next biggest bang for the buck is a D2D converter. I use a Gustard U18 that takes in a USB input from the Node N130 and puts out an IIS output. This really cleans the sound up and removes several subjective layers of hash. Not cheap at circa $500, but do it ONLY if you have got the R26 on a sympathetic support and AC cable.
I tried two different types of IIS cables...a 2m Pangea Premier SE one at $200+ and a $100 0.5m pure silver one from Ali Express. The shorter cheaper cable was better, possibly because it was only 1/4 of the lenght of the Pangea...but maybe because it was silver, not copper.

5. After all of these have been done, then an external master clock will provide additional benefits. I tried two different ones...a $350 LHY OCK-1 and a $600 LHY OCK-2.
If you have not addressed any of the above, neither of these will offer any subjective improvement. But if you have, both clocks allow a cleaner and more transparent presentation. The OCK-2 also gives a more 3-D soundstage and faster, deeper bass. The clock has two outputs....one for the R26 an the other for the U18 D2D.
And the quality of the 50-Ohm coax matters. I have used $13 from Ali and $75 ones custom made from LMR 400 50Ohm coax with the latter being easily better sounding.

6. What I have not yet tried are network switches. I do have a $300+ IFi Elite power supply on the router, but I have not yet tried putting its output through a switch.

In summary the R26 is a pheomenal front end at $1600+; but if you are willing to put another $1500 to maximise its performance, you will have a near unbeatable digital front end.

And yes, I have tested a Chord Qutest, which sounded very detailed, but also sterile.

Just buy a better DAC. Theres many of them, many MUCH better. This mania with cheap but good for the price or cheap copies of stuff does my head in.

And yes, I have tested a Chord Qutest, which sounded very detailed, but also sterile.
I had a Qutest and found its sound was very dependent on the power supply used. For a modest cost for a third party power supply its sound is much better. For more money such as a Sean Jacobs power supply the sound is, at least to my ears, quite sublime and not at all sterile.

My Qutest was bought second hand and was a bargain.

Last edited:
Just buy a better DAC. Theres many of them, many MUCH better. This mania with cheap but good for the price or cheap copies of stuff does my head in.

I do agree with this, Aqua Dacs can be had for the price the OP has ended up paying which far exceed the Gustard, but some people enjoy the journey and the tinkering, and some like to do it in stages beit for maybe financial or interest reasons to note the differences with each modification.

Sure if what I knew then what I know now and I had the money to go out and buy my entire system off the bat all at once, I would have done that, but my system came about which I am thoroughly happy with through experimentation, so it's just part of the fun really.

Hifi exploration and the time some folk take to tell others about their experience should be promoted and supported in my opinion.

I do agree with this, Aqua Dacs can be had for the price the OP has ended up paying which far exceed the Gustard, but some people enjoy the journey and the tinkering, and some like to do it in stages beit for maybe financial or interest reasons to note the differences with each modification.

Sure if what I knew then what I know now and I had the money to go out and buy my entire system off the bat all at once, I would have done that, but my system came about which I am thoroughly happy with through experimentation, so it's just part of the fun really.

Hifi exploration and the time some folk take to tell others about their experience should be promoted and supported in my opinion.
Of course it not feasible to get any comparison between the maxxed out R26 and the AquaDAC. Simply paying more is no guarantee for superior performance.

What I can say is that the Gustard R26 without any special add-ons (well, ok a decent interconnect to the preamp) is a wonderful player, giving an enormously wide and transparent soundscape and no subjective colorations of any sort.

Building on it with incremental add-on upgrades makes the stage deeper, and deeper and deeper, while the imagery becomes near holographic, and the bass improves both in extension (which was pretty good anyway), but more importantly in pitch accuracy. Something very right happened for instance when I added the U18 D2D with a short (0.5m) pure silver HDMI/IIS cable.

Is this the best allocation of around $3000 for a digital streamer/DAC? Well I don't know, and I don't think ANYBODY knows.

But now I can listen for hours at a time, to not only complete tracks, but complete albums and find the experience very immersive.
Even relatively poorly recorded albums can be listened to in entirity, whereas before they didn't last 5 seconds.

And that is the elusive property of an audio system that we all pursue, to differening degrees of success.

If you already HAVE an R-26, there are ways to take it to much higher levels in stages, none of which are overly expensive. To me, this makes more sense than selling it at a considerable loss and replacing it with another player that you may not even enjoy as much. Indeed some people have preferred the R26 to the Denafrips Terminator PLUS at 3-4x the cost.

MartinT on theaudiostandard went pretty far with how he modded his.e.g., adding a tungsten cube to the clock etc, said it made significant improvements.

MartinT on theaudiostandard went pretty far with how he modded his.e.g., adding a tungsten cube to the clock etc, said it made significant improvements.
Upgrading the clock on the Gustard is sort of like improving the power supply on the LP12...first the Valhalla, then the Geddon, then the Lingo and finally the Radikal..
All just get the platter to rotate at some nominal speed.

If you believe that 'reclocking' the Linn can give subjective improvements,than why not also reclocking a DAC?

I had a Qutest and found its sound was very dependent on the power supply used. For a modest cost for a third party power supply its sound is much better. For more money such as a Sean Jacobs power supply the sound is, at least to my ears, quite sublime and not at all sterile.

My Qutest was bought second hand and was a bargain.
Not to de-rail, but my experience mirrors yours. Allo Shanti is smart money for a solid improvement. Sean Jacobs is revelatory. Plixir Elite BDC struck a very good value/performance balance for me.

I have recently flashed to the latest firmware on my R26 and am experimenting between a LAN feed from a Catalyst 2960 switch and USB feed from a Micro Rendu with a DIY PSU based on an spare Supercap board. Both are very good. I have also dumped the pre-amp this week and am feeding my Avondale SE230 power amp direct. More to follow....but the 230 boards from LesW are truly excellent value.

advertisement

Back