advertisement

Fundraiser for Jon Hassell

guey

pfm Member
There is a gofundme page that has been set up by friends and family of Jon Hassell, the American trumpeter; as he is in a dire situation due to long term health issues.
There are only a very few musicians whose work I have bought on spec; and hunted down their collaborations avidly over a period of 40 years; and he is most definitely one.
Link here

Oh no! I'd just ordered Vernal Equinox, having remembered it was being reissued. Thanks for sharing. I feel the same way about his work, it's very special.

That's so sad to read. so many people have been influenced by him (some very heavily) you'd hope more people from the music community would step forward.Kudos to Eno for highlighting this.

I just don't get the US healthcare system.

Listening to City: Works of Fiction on Qobuz now.

Only vaguely recognised the name but as soon as I put the first track on i though, that's that David Sylvian album, you know.....A quick look at Wikipedia confirmed his significant involvement on Brilliant Trees, as well as loads of other stuff by lots of others.

Thanks guey for this, though the situation for Jon Hassell is terrible.

Really sad to hear. What is that health system all about?
Have a good few of his albums 4th World and Dream Theory often get a spin (causes a big of head scratching for my children) and one of my most played Talking Heads tracks is 'Houses in Motion'.

Thanks, really enjoyed this, good sq too. Any more similar from us to try?

I am ignorant with online security, is the donation link safe for card details, would much prefer Paypal link.
Glad you're enjoying it Bloss. The previous one, Listening to Pictures, is much the same; Fascinoma and Last Night the Moon Came...don't have the electronics but are similarly lovely; Vernal Equinox and Power Spot for something a bit harder edged; City: Works of Fiction for the funk. Out on its own for me is Fourth World Vol 1 with Eno.

Bit ignorant about online security myself, but gofundme's legit.

Fascinoma is about as close to jazz as he got, and is a stunning, purist, two mic, no compression recording - proper they're in the room stuff.
Eathquake Island is like some warped jazz fusion album, in a very very good way.
Last Night The Moon Came.... is, as Sean says lovely, and probably where I'd recommend a newbie starts.
The two with Eno, Fourth World Vol 1: Possible Musics, and Dream Theory In Malaya are fantastic - like a brilliant fever dream,
Power Spot and City: Works Of Fiction are a bit tougher.
The album he did with the African drum troupe, Farafina, Flash Of The Spirit is well worth your time (I saw them do this live, and was blown away).

Probably the only one I wouldn't recommend to a newbie is Sulla Strada (I feckin love it, but am, as you can probably guess, a bit of a fanboy)

Glad you're enjoying it Bloss. The previous one, Listening to Pictures, is much the same; Fascinoma and Last Night the Moon Came...don't have the electronics but are similarly lovely; Vernal Equinox and Power Spot for something a bit harder edged; City: Works of Fiction for the funk. Out on its own for me is Fourth World Vol 1 with Eno.

Bit ignorant about online security myself, but gofundme's legit.

Thanks Sean, will explore backwards, if that makes sense. Sure there will be others I will buy. Looking forward to the next purchase.
My son took the download for STS, he has heard of Jon via the Wire, he is particularly enjoying tracks 7 & 8.

No excuse for not donating, I am on the case.

Fascinoma is about as close to jazz as he got, and is a stunning, purist, two mic, no compression recording - proper they're in the room stuff.
Eathquake Island is like some warped jazz fusion album, in a very very good way.
Last Night The Moon Came.... is, as Sean says lovely, and probably where I'd recommend a newbie starts.
The two with Eno, Fourth World Vol 1: Possible Musics, and Dream Theory In Malaya are fantastic - like a brilliant fever dream,
Power Spot and City: Works Of Fiction are a bit tougher.
The album he did with the African drum troupe, Farafina, Flash Of The Spirit is well worth your time (I saw them do this live, and was blown away).

Probably the only one I wouldn't recommend to a newbie is Sulla Strada (I feckin love it, but am, as you can probably guess, a bit of a fanboy)

Thanks guey, a most comprehensive outline of his works, very helpful.

I have ordered a few, 2 are in quarantine here, and awaiting Vernal Equinox.

Bored with the wait and only one vinyl I can play so doing a trawl through YT, really like the Indian/Asian influences on some of his work.
Enjoying Fascinoma at the moment, Last Night the Moon Came is the next one.

I am in danger of buying a lot of his output, help.

The new album sounds like a chilled out Bitches Brew. 4th world was one of those records that got stuck in my head. The spacey haunting dreamlike trumpet sound touched something deep in me and has been floating in and out of my consciousness ever since. I wonder if it would have the same effect if I heard it for the first time today. It could have just been the place I was in at the time 4th world came out. Dunno but love his unique sound.

Smuggling my new records from quarantine.

Vernal Equinox playing, think I have gone to heaven. This record was probably all I required, another 2 or so to go.

advertisement

Back