advertisement

full manual challenge

Rockmeister

pfm Member
OK, so we are all nostalgic about our slr film cameras, so....how about a challenge then?
1 week to take as many pics as you want under the following conditions.

Full manual exposure control only. No AP/SP Auto or programmes. Turn them all off.
Full manual focus only. No autofocus whatsoever.
No motordrive. Single shot only.
No colour. B&W only.
No 'live view', no use of screens, no electronics at all, barring your cameras control over shutter speed, aperture and metering.
Electronic viewfinders are ok if they are all you have, but no twist wheel exposure compensation...you want it darker, you need to do it manually.
Well you get the picture.

At the end of the week, we each publish our BEST pic. NO post processing/cropping at all allowed. Straight from the file.

I have 2 or 3 title ideas, but is anybody willing to turn back the clock?

Well for us film guys, this is the only way we can take pictures - the question then is whether a scan or a print would be acceptable?

Rock,

I iz confused. Using a digital camera is OK (subject to the lengthy terms and conditions) but you only want to see B&W pictures without post-processing? You mean, set the camera to B&W output if that's a possibility?

(Or is this the rationale I am to use to persuade my wife that I need a Leica Monochrom?)

Joe

Yank,

More like $9,500 of our finest Canadian clams, and that's before any glass is mounted.

Joe

Yank,

More like $9,500 of our finest Canadian clams, and that's before any glass is mounted.

But in American clams it's only about $7550 before glass. It would still be a challenge to find a 35mm lens for $450, maybe a used Voigtlander?

Rock,

I iz confused. Using a digital camera is OK (subject to the lengthy terms and conditions) but you only want to see B&W pictures without post-processing? You mean, set the camera to B&W output if that's a possibility?

(Or is this the rationale I am to use to persuade my wife that I need a Leica Monochrom?)

Joe
yes
maybe. Do you deserve one? :)
Well for us film guys, this is the only way we can take pictures - the question then is whether a scan or a print would be acceptable?

OFC, but this was triggered by the 'best camera' thread where most persons were harking back to a golden era of manual cameras, so...I wondered if they would enjoy this as a project.
Give it another day?

One of the last manual focus, film SLR photos that I ever took ...

5392859807_4e08fd7b77_o.jpg

Minolta X-700, MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7 lens, Ilford HP5 film.

One of the last manual focus, film SLR photos that I ever took ...

5392859807_4e08fd7b77_o.jpg

Minolta X-700, MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7 lens, Ilford HP5 film.

This is a great photo; I am looking for a decent manual camera for my wife, is this one you'd recommend? Quick peek online appears that it was highly rated. and not 'silly nostalgia' money i.e. manual Leica prices.

I loved my X-700, very well-made, very useable camera and totally reliable. Bought it s/hand as a student, put hundreds of rolls through it - the body died in involuntary sea immersion 12 years later :(

I still have 28mm/f2.8 and 50mm/f1.7 'MD' mount lenses from it - if you land a body, Yomanze, you can have them free :)

I loved my X-700, very well-made, very useable camera and totally reliable. Bought it s/hand as a student, put hundreds of rolls through it - the body died in involuntary sea immersion 12 years later :(

I still have 28mm/f2.8 and 50mm/f1.7 'MD' mount lenses from it - if you land a body, Yomanze, you can have them free :)

Hi Martin that's very generous of you, thanks for the feedback too. :)

Best regards,

Neil

unable to follow my own rules!
So this is converted to B&W in Photoshop (but accepting what I was given, no tweaking), cropped and some burning in (well I thought, it's just what I'd have done in the darkroom so?).
Anyway, one dead frog for your delight.

stalker2 by John Dutfield, on Flickr

Well, I found the last compliant pic I took was with my Yashicamat, and five yrs ago. The Yashicamat is the original meterless version, so for light I was using my grandfather's, and now, erm, 62yr old, Gossen Sixtomat light meter. Which still works well-enough, and it's so nice to travel with zero dependence on batteries...

jess_film.jpg

OM-2 girl in a breeze.

Fully manual exposure (spot metered from lighter patch of stone below windowsill), braced against stone door jamb because I wasn’t carrying a tripod or a monopod, manual aperture setting. So was this digital or film, (D)SLR or compact?

2645881538_febbc4228c_o.jpg

(Waited ages as this was in Lacock Abbey and there were lots of people around photographing each other.)

To make it authentic maybe you should have to send your memory card away for a week and pay someone a small fortune to return some badly processed machine prints.

To make it authentic maybe you should have to send your memory card away for a week and pay someone a small fortune to return some badly processed machine prints.
I always did my own.
If you really need to be negative, can you go sing in the bath or something?

advertisement

Back