advertisement

full frame or crop frame

peelaaa

pfm Member
I have a canon 60d crop frame slr. Would I see much of a quality difference if replaced with a full frame??

Basically, no.

If you are struggling to produce good images from the 60D, it's probably down to the lenses you are using with it. This sort of high density cropped sensor will show up the limitations in most consumer grade zooms, and will produce better images if you use primes, or professional zooms.

What lenses are you using with it, and what sort of photography are you taking?

There are three advantages to full frame 35mm lenses from a quality perspective:

1 - more light gathering, so better performance in low light.
2 - availability of wider lenses, so ultra-wide is more readily available.
3 - narrower depth of field for a given angle of view, so you can isolate the subject more easily (with the right lens).

For general photography though, it's pretty much of a muchness.

I shoot digital from 1.5x crop through 35mm full frame, to medium format digital, and am happy that they all have a place. My fuji 1.5x crop is great, and i don't miss the sensor being the size it is.

Probably the lenses then, they are:

Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II: bought last year, decent images but is 80mm on a cropped camera, so have to stand way back from subject

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

Canon 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 III

The last two lenses were originally supplied with a Canon EOS 500N 35mm

I went from crop sensor Canon, to full frame Canon to crop sensor Fuji, and had the luxury of using the same, very good, Zeiss lenses on all three. The Fuji sensor is much better than the Canon, for my sort of photography, but larger sensors give you wider angles (important for me) and shallower DOF, again, important. However, most of my lenses are very fast, and wider lenses are now available, so I feel that the advantage of a so-called full frame sensor are somewhat tenuous now.

In my experience, it is easier to get good results from a crop sensor camera than a full frame one... budget goes up (getting lenses to provide good results on a larger sensor area adds challenges, and the market is smaller), weight goes up, and one has to be a bit more careful with depth of field, etc.

This being said, for some uses (low light, when one wants tight DoP control), a full frame camera (or medium format one) has some unique benefits...

Full frame eg 6D does offer much better results indoors in lower light. Not just that the sensor is bigger, but it is a very good sensor in it's own right.
You'll get the photos on the 60D but the ISO will be increased to cope and the photos much noisier. Clean images indoors can be very important to some people, horses for courses.
Outdoors, I don't see much difference between crop and full frame.

Probably the lenses then, they are:

Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II: bought last year, decent images but is 80mm on a cropped camera, so have to stand way back from subject

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

Canon 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 III

The last two lenses were originally supplied with a Canon EOS 500N 35mm

The 50/1.8 will actually be quite good on the camera - the limitations of this lens are in the corners (of the full frame it covers) so will be cropped out by your sensor and not be visible.

The other two lenses are so so, the 75-300 being probably the better of the two.

If I were you, i'd try and find a modern decent 16 or 17 - something L series zoom to try. For example:

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/ef_lenses/ef-s/ef-s_17-55mm_f2.8_is_usm/

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/ef_lenses/wide_zoom/ef_16-35mm_f4l_is_usm/

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/ef_lenses/wide_zoom/ef_17-40mm_f4l_usm/

I've listed them in order of preference for your purposes, but really it's quite personal what you use, and what you would enjoy. I actually have the third of these, the 17-40, and have had my copy from when I shot with a 10D, which was my second canon DSLR.

So, get yourself to a camera shop, and try some of the above. Take your time, ask questions, and go home and look at the results of your shots on your computer, and see if these are giving you what you want. If they are, you could probably pick these up cheaper on the web, or second hand. The shop will also probably cut you a deal if you haggle ;-)

Oh, and before I forget, try the cheap canon 18-55 IS kit lens, as it is rather good for the money. This will also allow you to work out whether the extra gives you anything you want.

advertisement

Back