advertisement

Fujifilm x10

puddlesplasher

pfm Member
I'm on the look out for a half decent camera to carry around with me at work and leisure. So looking for something that takes good pictures but not too expensive. Anyone familiar with this camera and give me their opinions as to it's quality.
Thanks

Long time ago, I think the early ones had problems so look for a later model, should be info on dpreview etc. I went to a Canon then back to Fuji about 5 years back, the X30, which I still have and love, the EVF and WiFi were the main reason I chose to move to it. I remember the X10 having a lot of fans at the time, I seem to recall having some niggles with the viewfinder but its so long back can’t really recall.

I have an SLR but usually take the X30 cos its more portable. Never been a fan of Phone cameras, likely seems old fashioned to most but I really like to use/handle a proper camera. Quite fancy the OMD EM10 III twin lens bundle £499 at Jessops and sell up my Canon EOS rig so I still have a camera lens options but much one that is much easier to cart around.

I used an X10 from 2013 to 2019. I bought one of the last ones from the UK distributor as my first foray into digital photography (film only up 'til then). I never felt the need to upgrade it, whilst recognising its limitations. There is a way of setting it up to work as a 6 megapixel camera whilst increasing dynamic range which is useful. It's obviously a compromise for things like landscapes where the resolution is limited. I now have more time available for photography and so have moved on to an X-T30. If you look back through the PaW threads you can see a range of images I took with the X10

However, having said all that I'm not sure I'd buy one now unless you can get a mint camera because of it's age. The X-20 and X-30 may well be better choices (but different sensors) and the latter has a better viewfinder. I would also consider the Canon G7x cameras which my son used for a while and got good results from - helped by the 1" sensor

Here's some images to give you a general comparison; 1st two Fuji X-10, 3rd one Canon G7X:

48110244736_a8f95a472c_b.jpg

33863691220_588b8b9113_b.jpg

48403888802_69ced6ac17_b.jpg

Very happy to help further if you have other questions

Last edited:
I had an x10, great wee camera but I sold it and bought an x30 for the viewfinder reasons above.

I had an original X10 for a short period back in 2012. Looked great and nice to use but I was dissapointed with the output, had heavy Noise Reduction baked into the RAW images IIRC and quicky bought a Sigma DP1X which was a lot better, and still have to this day.

Park
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Would have thought there is a lot better out there, even second hand, such as the later models mentioned, or something like a Ricoh GR.

I don't think RAW played to the camera's strengths when the JPEG output is so good, and I recall it took me about a year to get the best out of it, looking back over the early images. In terms of auto white balance it is way better than the X-T30, and the Fuji colours.............

50258601591_644070b335_b.jpg

50258629776_ca50e3192b_b.jpg

50258646361_c94b70c1d6_b.jpg

But I do agree with you, in the OP's position I wouldn't get one currently, but under certain circumstances I think it is still a great package if not printing large images. It's a pity Fuji got out of the compact sector, but I guess 'phones put paid to that. However I won't be letting mine go!

I still have my X10. It's my hiking and walkabout camera. The viewfinder is just a glass peephole but it does zoom with the lens. There is no shooting info in it so you have to be able to see the LCD, which in bright sunlight is not easy...
I have C1 set up for people shots and C2 set up for landscape. Otherwise I just use Aperture priority. I have ISO set up on the fn button on top. It's well built, made in Japan.
Mine did get a new sensor as there was in issue known as 'white orbs' and Fuji had to fit a new one to rectify that problem. Within the limits of the sensor size it takes good photos.

It's a fab little camera and I've never had any issues with mine. Probably now cheap enough to get one and not be too precious about it, which can also be a boon.

But if price is not too much of an issue an x-e3 with 27mm pancake lens is pretty much every bit as pocketable.

And the new x-e4 and updated 27mm pancake may mean it's not too long till bargains start cropping up.

That said, still a good chunk of cash more than an X10.

And having had the X-10 longer and being happier to take it places I probably wouldn't take the X-E3, I've way more photos I look back on with the X-10 compared to the X-E3.

Which makes me think a bit, as I'm really just a happy snapper with pretensions.

If only the X-E3 was weatherproof...

advertisement

Back