advertisement

Fuji X-T2 - hands on impressions and sample images

Yes - priority is set to 'focus' (as it always is on my cameras). Will check out the pre-AF too, got to be worth a go. Those who've used the Pro2 successfully at race meetings, do you use burst mode or follow your subject, firing the (single shot) shutter at the right moment?

Memory is cheap, use burst, it gives a lot more chance of success, and with the new 'S' battery I managed over 750 RAW+JPG before changing the battery (it hadn't actually run out but was on one bar and I didn't want it to expire during a sequence). A friend who was with me managed 1200 JPG shots on one 'S' battery.

Going back to the question, its all about getting the initial lock, with a burst you automatically get further bites at the cherry, in single shot its all over!

Went to pick up a lens from someone today and he has an XT-2 for sale. He shoots Sony FF and prefers the DOF on that for wedding work so after less than 1000 shots he's selling his XT-2. Was an interesting conversation, he can't fault the XT-2 at all just prefers the Zeiss glass. I think he's kind of regretting it already but i've bought all his glass (after going to pick up 1 lens I came away with 3) so he's beyond the point of no return. He has the grip too.

If interested let me know and i'll put you in touch. I've seen the camera myself and it's mint.

Interesting! Which lenses did you pick up?

Presumably he had tried the 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2 and 50-140/2.8? (all of which are great for shallow depth of field). I know where he's coming from, but after trying the lenses above (with the exception of the 90/2), I don't feel I'm missing out when it comes to shallow depth of field for portraiture. I've done 2 paid jobs with the X-T2 now and it delivered wonderfully each time.

Here's an example from the 56/1.2 from one of the jobs:

XF56/1.2 by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Fuji X-T2 / XF56mm f1.2 R

Lefty

I agree Lefty, but one man's loss is another man's gain as they say :cool:

I do understand how people prefer a certain look / rendering. Personally I couldn't leave the Fuji colours now. I was VERY tempted by a D500 because I plan to do lot's of action shooting in the spring and i'm pretty certain it would suit my needs slightly better than the XT-2 but those Fuji colours and film simulations.....

I picked up the 90/2 + 50-140 + 16-55 BUT i've also bought another 90/2 by mistake after forgetting I had bid on it so i've got another one on the way :D

It was one of those situations where I did some quick calculations and thought it was a good deal, doubt I will keep them all but will have fun playing in the meantime.

That image taken with the 56/1.2 looks stunning, another Amar stunner !!!

Thanks for the kind words :)

Wow - that's quite a haul of glass!! I was tempted by the 16-55 myself - as I shot almost exclusively with the 18-55 when in The Lakes (much to my surprise) - however when I handled one, I was put off by the size and weight. Great lens though and i may well end up getting one some day.

You've got two 90/2s?! I think you may have overtaken me in the Gear Acquisioon Syndrome stakes now :D

Lefty

Wow - that's quite a haul of glass!! I was tempted by the 16-55 myself - as I shot almost exclusively with the 18-55 when in The Lakes (much to my surprise) - however when I handled one, I was put off by the size and weight. Great lens though and i may well end up getting one some day.

You've got two 90/2s?! I think you may have overtaken me in the Gear Acquisioon Syndrome stakes now :D

Lefty

I am also huffing and puffing over whether to go for the 16-55 too. I have the 18-55 and the 18-135 but I am trying to keep acquisitions on hold till I have really given the two lens I have a chance to shine. I did buy a 10-24 but it fell to pieces when I put it onto my X-T2. I was gutted but I guess it was just one of those things.. not meant to be :)

Lefty

Its only in a holding pattern, waiting for you to stretch your pockets!!!!......

Nice one imattersuk!

Have you had a chance to play around with the other lenses yet? I absolutely love the 50-140/2.8. Definitely one of my favourites (despite its size and weight!)

Lefty

Went for a wander with the XT-2 and 16-55 F2.8 around the Regent Street area today. There was a vintage car show on which provided some opportunities to grab a few shots.

I use the Optech USA neck strap & I have to say I never noticed the weight all day, it was a pleasure to shoot with. I guess with the standard Fuji strap it might be noticeable but if you distribute the weight evenly with a decent strap it makes a big difference.

10 shots in an album here; https://www.flickr.com/photos/124821128@N04/albums/72157674730267451

Here's a taster.

Vintage_Couple
by ImageMaker, on Flickr

Very nice images! Might have to rethink on the 16-55, it looks excellent....

Lefty
Thanks Lefty, I think it's quite a step up from the 18-55. Must admit the first time I handled it I thought it was a bit of a beast but then once on the camera it's fine with a decent strap.

I've had the OPTECH since I bought the XT-1 and I always thought it was overkill for a small camera but I stuck with it on the XT-2 due to the build quality, now I understand why people use them on DSLR's, it distributes the weight wonderfully, hardly noticed it was there all day today.

I didn't even play with aperture today just left it on 2.8.

I'm sure the 16-55 plus the 50-140 makes an awesome setup, but i'm loving the 90, can't justify keeping them all, decision, decisions !!!! Now where's that lottery ticket.......

You're even worse, you've got more glass than Wetherspoons :D

Anyone tried shooting video on their X-T2? I've been *seriously* impressed with the results (albeit just shooting mini interviews with my kids at home). haven't tried the 4k/24 shooting yet, but its 1080p/24 is *stunning*, especially in mono :)

I've found doing this almost full manual is the way forward. Don't bother with AF, work out the closest *faster* shutter for your chosen frame rate (e.g. 1/30 for 24p), use OIS and let the camera do the rest. Really, really good video. WAY better than I ever got out of my 5Dmk2....

Also, I've found that the 18-55/2.8-4 is a fantastic performer with the X-T2 - it's liberated (as compared to its performance with the X-Pro1 and even the X-T10). Really nice to use - apart from the daft aperture ring, which I still think wants proper markings...

PS. Anyone used one of the cheaper steadicam type mounts with an X-series? How did that go? I see that you can get one of the more basic types for around sixty quid, which might be worthwhile....

Just seen this excellent video comparison between the Fuji X-T2 and Nikon D500. Well worth 30 mins of your time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYf7t9lzslQ

The results are surprising. I knew the X-T2 was good, but to see it go toe-to-toe with the D500 in AF tracking and low light auto-focus and for it to be declared the overall winner was not something I was expecting. I also preferred the X-T2 images in his blind A/B portrait test.

Lefty

Thanks Lefty, I think it's worth noting he was using slow SD cards in the XT-2, with the right cards it's blisteringly fast.

Thanks Amar - very well worth watching. :)

More and more I'm coming to the conclusion to get the X-Pro2 to track in similar fashion it has to be used in burst mode. Following with the shutter half-pressed simply doesn't work - for example, in the video the presenter takes images of the girl jogging towards him. The X-Pro2 simply won't focus - it'll pick the image up on the first shot, but try to re-focus and it simply won't do it. Result - totally blurred images, even with the camera set to focus priority.

Thanks Amar - very well worth watching. :)

More and more I'm coming to the conclusion to get the X-Pro2 to track in similar fashion it has to be used in burst mode. Following with the shutter half-pressed simply doesn't work - for example, in the video the presenter takes images of the girl jogging towards him. The X-Pro2 simply won't focus - it'll pick the image up on the first shot, but try to re-focus and it simply won't do it. Result - totally blurred images, even with the camera set to focus priority.

Richard, this is the same with the X-T2, once the zone tracking locks onto the first image, a burst sequence usually has every successive image in focus, its that initial lock on that's key.

I'd work on the principle that SD memory is cheap, so machine gun away, then be ruthless in file deletion before you clog up your HDD with files you will never revisit.

Just have plenty of batteries......

advertisement

Back