advertisement

Frustration at no location info. on classifieds

I suppose a compromise is just regularly prompt sellers to add region (or precise location if they’re happy). Hifinutt is usually the one who carries out this service on everyone’s behalf and might be good if others gave a polite prompt to sellers now and again. Absence of pics is by far the biggest turn off for me.

Absence of pics is by far the biggest turn off for me.

From a browsing p.o.v. or not knowing what's being advertised, Dec ? I do agree that pic's in classifieds are visually titillating, generally beneficial and indeed mandatory on other forums but I'd still want emailed pic's if strongly interested, as you can't enlarge forum photos.

I've always had trouble with Photobucket when it was remotely reliable and found it to be a real faff, but managed it most of the time. Since they've effectively become inaccessible and 'closed' my library I've dragged my feet about finding an alternative that I can understand. Imgur was a failure a year or two back. Must try harder when I have a day or two spare !!! Pity you can't take pic's directly from your files.

Hifinutt did that on one of my sales threads, but I'd add I did already show my county in my profile.

I think if you are interested in a decently described item, then pm the seller and have that conversation. It will take you as long to type that conversation either way, so I'm not sure what the issue is, really.

I've sold several items on PFM, and never had a location issue with any buyer - it's just sorted as part of the pm conversation.

I do agree that pic's in classifieds are visually titillating, generally beneficial and indeed mandatory on other forums but I'd still want emailed pic's if strongly interested, as you can't enlarge forum photos.

Agreed, but this forum isn't the easiest to do that on. Far easier is to exchange emails via pm and send images that way.

Far easier is to exchange emails via pm and send images that way.

If it's something that may not sell instantly, I'd rather get in the habit of doing something that takes 3 minutes once, instead of something that takes less time (maybe?) over and over.

All you need to do is ask the seller?

Better to have a ten page thread on an internet forum though, imagine all the keyboard strokes involved in asking a vendor where they are located.

Maybe we should also have a 'buy it now button' for each sale ?

I don't see why even just putting the location County is not compulsory? Seems pretty sensible, and beneficial.

I usually put my location as Faringdon, nr Swindon. As I have had more than once people asking if I am far from the tube station to collect......

I think the first 3 letters of one's postcode wil give an idea of location (~ 100K households) - and not fall foul of GDPR

Reactions: GJO
Err, this may not be possible due to Gdpr. Surely the answer is simple, no FS ads without a location, a mandatory field could added? On the other hand, It is hardly a massive issue to ask someone where they are based if interested in the kit? I don't want my location to be flagged as a matter of course as it is not relevant or desirable.

Completely agree with you on this one!

I would never ever put my post code on an open forum. I usually put the nearest junction on the motorway and wouldn't give out anything else except via PM.

Better to have a ten page thread on an internet forum though, imagine all the keyboard strokes involved in asking a vendor where they are located.

Nah. I’ll read the item description, and then if needing further I’ll contact the vendor direct.

Pfm isn’t eBay.

Not sure what the worry is about giving a general location. When someone asks the seller usually puts it in the post anyway. I tend to flick through the adds and pictures/location make a huge difference. The reason is I don’t actually need to buy anything but if something turns up that is close by then I may take a punt but if I have to ask I probably won’t bother unless I am really keen. The no photos is by far the most annoying though. Even if you struggle with linking photos on here you can always post an add on gumtree and then add the link. I don’t mind clicking on a link, I just don’t want to have to go googling what is in the add and hoping the description was accurate. I can easily turn into a serious buyer if the right info is there.

I tend to flick through the ad's and pictures/location make a huge difference. The reason is I don’t actually need to buy anything but if something turns up that is close by then I may take a punt but if I have to ask I probably won’t bother unless I am really keen.

Yup ! That goes for me too.

advertisement

Back