advertisement

From Naim to tube amps

I swiched from two exposure 4dr (one for LF, one for MF+HF) to two Croft Serie 7se (one for MF, one for HF) and a Hypex UcD 400 (for LF)
More 3d, smoother HF, and realy more LF control!
I didn't look back ;-)
Speaker was always a A.O.S. Monitor 45tl be

NAP250 -> EAR 890
Mainly because my electrostatics kept shutting down the 250, and my MDAC blew away the NAC82/NDAC so the NAP250 was the only Naim bit left. The EAR was much clearer, and actually the bass was better (though note that my speakers have built in amps for the bass, so the EAR isn't actually "driving" the bass). Also excellent and cheap servicing from EAR, whereas I feel Naim now take the p somewhat on servicing costs. However, EAR is not for someone looking for a warm and cuddly "valve" sound, basically its Naim with valves.

Went from Naim to an EAR V20 integrated, which as the name implies had 20 valves in it. The difference was amazing. The music wasn't so percussively on the beat, but opened up in so many other ways. I haven't been interested in climbing the Naim ladder since.

At the moment I have got an upgraded Quad 44 and 405-2, with Martin Logan SL3 electrostatic speakers. Very nice they are too.

Next stop is likely to be Devialet, or Thor. I'll have to try and get a proper demo of the latter. They produce some of the best valve equipment you can buy apparently.

Audio Research are great, but something made in England might be better ...

Jack

So quite a lot have changed from Naim Amps to Valves! I think I would want to keep my old style Naim CD player (CDi), is it likely to fit in?

Simon

I used my Naim CD2 and NAT101 for a couple of years with a Mystere tube amp. They were lovely. No need to change sources.

Simon (also)

Like a few others in this thread, I went from Naim to EAR. 200/202 to 864/890. No more upgraditis, sublime sound. Speakers are Harbeth SHL5s.

I am using valves now but I keep my trusty Nait2 nearby just to get a ''Naim fix'' once in a while.

Nice gear Dave. I get to listen to the BAT gear(Rex gear)every now and then at a dealer in Illinois that is owned by Geoff Poor of BAT. Good gear for sure, but would love to take a listen to the Dartzeel too someday!

advertisement

Back