advertisement

From Naim 200 + HiCap to 250 or HiCap DR

The rails from the supercap into the 282 should impress you right out of the box and show you what the 282 can really do.

Yep, I remember the demo when I decided to buy my 282, demoed with HiCap, 2 x HICAP & Supercap. It does sound mighty fine, but at what price ?

Thanks again for your thoughts. The division of opinion on the 250 is something that I've also seen on the Naim forums. I suspect though that it's as much about speakers and rooms as any intrinsic characteristic of the amp itself. Although it's also true that there's a lot of subjectivity involved in listening.

What I hear now at home is far superior to anything I have had before - the latest addition was the Harbeth speakers and they really made a major difference - a difference that was superior in my view. However, the thread has helped me focus on what I think is the big question for me at this stage and that is whether to try further to improve the Naim element or try valve based amps - e.g. Croft. This may be a prompt for a new thread.

The 250.2 really needs a Supercap attached to the 282 to sound it's best. It totally changes character.

I would recommend doing nothing at the moment. Naim will bring out a new range of separates fairly soon, and that will set the stage for the next 10 years. I would wait until the dust settles.

The safes thing to do, IMHO is to either get a HiCapDR or a SuperCapDR.

advertisement

Back