advertisement

From 82/hicap to Tube Preamp - who has done what?

naimnut

Deep in the Mines of Soul
I love the sound of my (humble) system:
CD3.5, LP12/Ittok/Dynavector 17D3/Linto, 82/hicap, Innersounds Electrostatic amp, Quad ESL 63

However, I have a buddy who has been using a Prima Luna integrated (tube) amp into his 2805s and it sounds superb. And the reviews of the Prima Luna preamps universally praise them. I'm tempted, tempted by the fruit of another...

However, it almost seems the 82 is starting to achieve a sort of cult status, along with other Olive era Naim equipment. Interesting, no?

So this question is directed to those of you who have been through a similar transition. What did you move on to? Were you glad you made the change? Any regrets, thoughts, recommendations?

Moved from 42.5/HiCap/160 to Audio Research SP9/iii and, recently, Threshold S/300ii. I was glad to progress from paper ships on a paper sea into something with a soundstage. Also the MM input on the ARC preamp is quieter than the 323 MC boards in the Naim, with a MC cart, by quite a bit.

Randomly adding a valve to the signal path is not quite the same as using an all valve amplifier.... and not all valve amps sound "valvey"... then there's the fact that a line pre amp has the easiest job to do of all amplifiers as it only has to amplify by say x 4 and present a decently low output impedance to the world so it should have less character of it's own than a phono stage or power amp and by some margin... quite a can of worms...

I had an 82 some years back and used it with both a supercap and a hi-cap.
TBH, I was never a massive fan: I thought it sat in a very difficult place between the 72 (which was far greater VFM) and 52 (which was vastly better).
Indeed, the 72 & supercap, mullett as it was, had more going for it in many ways.

These days I use a pair of Kii Threes that have done away with all of my outboard amps etc.
They sound far better and my living room is bereft of big black boxes that seemed to multiply when you weren't looking.

Went from 72/Hicap/250 via Teddy and Avondale PSUs to Canary Audio valve pre and Avondale power amp to a full blown Aesthetix pre-power and phono stage.
The Avondale power amp with its choice of DIN and phono plugs for input was my transition out of the straight jacket of Naim cabling.

I had a few Counterpoint, Audio Research and Conrad Johnson valve preamps in the past but now have a 82/TP DTC with Nap 250. All valve preamps I had are superior to the 82 when considering sonic attributes. But.. I now have a certain peace of mind because I do not have to worry anymore about this tube swapping paranoia.

Buy yourself a well regarded tube pre second-hand and stop wondering. If you hate it, you'd loose very little or nothing selling it on if you'd bought sensibly.
Maybe someone here, reasonably local to you, has something to try, freemans???????????????????????????/

I'd love to try a fully valve system but, living a reasonable distance from the nearest neighbour and personal preferences, I'd need one seriously powerful tube power amp(s).

Briefly, two years ago from 552 to E.A.R. 912. The 82 was a long time ago before my 52. However, my wholly beneficial transition may be some indicator, though (after years of 135s) I already had E.A.R. valved mono's when the pre. arrived. ESLs here, too (2905s)

advertisement

Back