advertisement

Free: Heartbreaker.

Finnegan

I like a bit of a cavort
Any love for Heartbreaker? Routinely dissed as a perfunctory, shoddy work, put together as the band were falling apart, and Koss, deep in addiction by now, contributed minimally. Yet, I think it’s a great work- side one at least. The highly commercial Wishing Well is a great opener. Come Together is deeply soulful, Travelling In Style an nice, jaunty, country-ish detour and Heartbreaker is as good as anything they did elsewhere.

Yeah, not a bad album with some decent tracks as you stated but it had so much to live up to from previous releases and the internal problems just compounded the future direction (if any) of the band.

Always a great show and FWIW my own favourite album is "Free Live" complete with botched drum and guitar breaks.

Bad Company seemed promising for the first two albums and then I lost interest

Messy production for sure.

A must have for Free fans though. And far more listenable than, say, Led Zeppelin's attempts at breaking the die they had cast.

Any love for Heartbreaker? Routinely dissed as a perfunctory, shoddy work, put together as the band were falling apart, and Koss, deep in addiction by now, contributed minimally. Yet, I think it’s a great work- side one at least. The highly commercial Wishing Well is a great opener. Come Together is deeply soulful, Travelling In Style an nice, jaunty, country-ish detour and Heartbreaker is as good as anything they did elsewhere.
Yeah, I love the album. I didn't appreciate them when they were together, before my time really, I was into Zeppelin, Purple, Sabbath etc. Only later did I realise just how good Free were.
Bad Co d8d some good stuff but don't move me in the same way. Rodgers has to be one of my favourite singers and Kossof had incredible feel.
There is a tribute band called 'Free At Last' who are worth seeing. The lead singer, Jak, unfortunately passed away, which is a great pity as he was fantastic but the younger replacement is still pretty good and the rest of the band are excellent, too.

Yeah, I love the album. I didn't appreciate them when they were together, before my time really, I was into Zeppelin, Purple, Sabbath etc. Only later did I realise just how good Free were.
Bad Co d8d some good stuff but don't move me in the same way. Rodgers has to be one of my favourite singers and Kossof had incredible feel.
There is a tribute band called 'Free At Last' who are worth seeing. The lead singer, Jak, unfortunately passed away, which is a great pity as he was fantastic but the younger replacement is still pretty good and the rest of the band are excellent, too.
A huge influence, imo, on the likes of Reef and The Black Crowes.

Messy production for sure.
it’s a much fuller production than their previous, rawer albums. And the addition of
Rabbit’s keys and songwriting input was quite a departure. I reckon that’s probably got a lot to do with its (unfair) bad rep.

advertisement

Back