advertisement

Fozgometer

You can use oscilloscope simulator and feed sound card with 1kHz sine wave , you need tracks with left and right channel 1kHz sine .

First thing would be to check crosstalk, basically you play 1kHz sine in one channel and measure signal level in the other channel then opposite - change azimuth to match level of crosstalk fed to opposite channel and you’re done .
This is in essence what Fozgometer does , but there is little more to this.

If you look closely phase angle of both sines would be most likely out , means their zero starting point happens at different time , you need actually try to match them , it will alter crosstalk slightly but we’re talking max 5% .

To the OP, I happen to own dr Feickert adjust + software if you like you could borrow , send me PM if interested.

You can use oscilloscope simulator and feed sound card with 1kHz sine wave , you need tracks with left and right channel 1kHz sine .

First thing would be to check crosstalk, basically you play 1kHz sine in one channel and measure signal level in the other channel then opposite - change azimuth to match level of crosstalk fed to opposite channel and you’re done .
This is in essence what Fozgometer does , but there is little more to this.

If you look closely phase angle of both sines would be most likely out , means their zero starting point happens at different time , you need actually try to match them , it will alter crosstalk slightly but we’re talking max 5% .

To the OP, I happen to own dr Feickert adjust + software if you like you could borrow , send me PM if interested.

I think that the requirement to balance a spirit level on the headshell would rule out using Adjust+ with my Well Tempered Lab arm. Thanks for the offer though. Does the Fozgometer tackle phase as well as crosstalk?

Someone in the classified section was offering a rental on a umik-1 which i didn't take up as i bought one instead. Any thought to do this with the Adjust+? Would love to have a go at some point

Someone in the classified section was offering a rental on a umik-1 which i didn't take up as i bought one instead. Any thought to do this with the Adjust+? Would love to have a go at some point

Umik -1 if I’m correct is a room correction tool , you could use it to check analogue playback but it could/will be done at the end of the chain and other variables would affect results ie : preamplifier , amplifier imbalance .

Adjust + does measurements straight after phono stage , soundcard delay in both channels could be discarded during calibration ,

I’m on holiday atm but when I’m back I can prepare little package with all bits needed to plug it in into desktop laptop and I could send it to you as long as you cover shipping cost , send me PM if interested.

I think that the requirement to balance a spirit level on the headshell would rule out using Adjust+ with my Well Tempered Lab arm. Thanks for the offer though. Does the Fozgometer tackle phase as well as crosstalk?
Of course you can do it this way and as long as stylus is correctly fitted to the cantilever and headshell parallel to the platter you should be close. In my experience and I measured many cartridges there were only 2 which stood out of rest , Ortofon 2MB and Benz Wood SL , one cartridge I tested for a friend was way out that went back to manufacturer , mind you I tested that different way as Feickert was on long term loan rounds.

Main problem with azimuth is that there is no easy way to establish if is correct or not without measuring crosstalk/phase angle , true cantilever is one thing but problem lies in mounting stylus to it , little misalignment will push generator out of its 0 position which creates little amount of voltage in coils - crosstalk. Crosstalk level in cartridges is very poor , best I have ever seen was close to 40dB and if you amplify signal in MC stage by 65-70dB it creates lot of unwanted signal being fed to playback chain , there is another culprit- phase angle , which needs to be in phase as it affects stereo image .

Fozgometer measures crosstalk only . If you change your mind let me know , as I mentioned in previous post I will prepare whole package and you just need computer , I will supply calibrated usb soundcard with all leads , shipping cost needs to be covered I’m afraid .

Many soundcards introduce a small phase delay between Left and Right, due to them internally sharing a single ADC with an input multiplexer.
Roughly one channel is read about 11us after the other at 44.1ksps. This is just over 1% of a 1kHz cycle, so about 4 degrees offset

Yes and as I mentioned earlier soundcard will be calibrated and phase delay error correction accounted for.

Is for people who've run out of things to spend money on?
Adjust + is expensive but I was lucky enough to know someone who’s Chris’s friend so I got one at good price , would I pay RRP - no as there are other ways to do same thing , probably not as easily .
I have to say test record supplied with is very good apart from little discrepancies below 200Hz on frequency sweep .

How do you tell if the crosstalk due to the lathe is actually in phase? Test records are far from perfect and it is even possible that unusually good crosstalk measurements might be the result of a lucky cancellation

Unfortunately test record is the weakest link but there is no other way I’m afraid , there are many good quality records but most come from distant past and are expensive , cbs lab records are not expensive and good quality, sometimes you can buy mint shrink wrapped copy .
Best way is to compare final results against another record and look for anomalies.

I have purchased a two channel software scope called Oscilloppoi today for the princely sum of 99p. It appears to have all of the necessary functions. I will track down a suitable test record. My ADC is out on loan at the moment, but I will give it a try as soon as that comes back.

advertisement

Back