advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

I'm a bit late to this thread (!) & in time will peruse the suggestions for new things myself. Huge folkie me.

All I can say is I hope Elliott Smith has been mentioned, not just once but multiple times in the 81 pages.

I'm as obsessed with ES, as I ever was (& still am) with The Smiths. That is tippy-tip of my music tree, to me.

Angeles

I'm a bit late to this thread (!) & in time will peruse the suggestions for new things myself. Huge folkie me.

All I can say is I hope Elliott Smith has been mentioned, not just once but multiple times in the 81 pages.

I'm as obsessed with ES, as I ever was (& still am) with The Smiths. That is tippy-tip of my music tree, to me.

Angeles

Welcome to the wonderful World of Folk/Acoustic
I think he has been mentioned a while ago, but I'm sure you'll find plenty other stuff to keep you entertained.
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

I'm rather partial to female amateur covers of ES songs ( told you Im pretty obsessed with ES). His voice register & sensitive lyrics chime with women/ girls, completely understandably. Here's my favourite..

I hope Annais Mitchell's been mentioned on here too, I'm sure so as a few folks have seen her live & mentioned her on other threads from searching her name on pfm, which was great to read. "Intellectual folk"-?

First 2 albums only for me (bar the odd song below), stripped down & simplest; I'm not a fan of Hadestown although it's very ambitious, lauded in the press, & mentioned on radio4 even.

This is a real treat & maybe my favourite song of hers, much more my thing.. (1.45 for impatient -folk-):

Thanks for the links Captain, it’s very different/unique for sure,
at the moment it’s a maybe for me, needs further listening to attune my ears to her peaky vocals,
the song structure doesn’t flow for me.

Captain, have you listened to Anais in her project Bonny Light Horseman?
The release their second album this Friday.

No must say I haven't, will try it. I've bought up to hadestown, but felt her humbleness (you can see in this ^ clip 1) sort of eclipsed by her ambition on this, so I 'bailed out' a few years ago. The Brightness is in my top cd's of all.

There's one folk musician (US, 2000-now) so dear to me I'm loathed to actually recommend, in case of 'mmm its ok i guess' or even 'nah boring' possible replies, which would actually mildly hurt!! I keep to myself.

No must say I haven't, will try it. I've bought up to hadestown, but felt her humbleness (you can see in this ^ clip 1) sort of eclipsed by her ambition on this, so I 'bailed out' a few years ago. The Brightness is in my top cd's of all.

There's one folk musician (US, 2000-now) so dear to me I'm loathed to actually recommend, in case of 'mmm its ok i guess' or even 'nah boring' possible replies, which would actually mildly hurt!! I keep to myself.
Captain! you can't leave it there! name them please... I'm always looking out for new/old artists to blog about.

at the moment it’s a maybe for me, needs further listening to attune my ears to her peaky vocals,

Yup exactly my thoughts for a while, the peaky vocals put me off. But so did morrissey's dirge innitially.

The structure of clip 1 song appears if you listen to the recorded version.. actually her vox softer on this, so a vg starting point I think (yes it's slightly lost in clip 1 if unfamiliar with the song). She's such a warm soul too, grew up on a farm in VA, fluent in hebrew, & many deep literary references in her songs: as intelligent as she is talented.

I felt very much like you when I first heard Anais on Bob Harris's late night show on Radio 2, but I knew there was something special about her so kept going back her debut album The Brightness and started to really appreciate her very talent.
Take a listen to this track from Young Man in America, it's sublime:

advertisement

Back