advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

I went to see Dallahan last night , I hadn’t listened to any of their music I just recognised the name. They were very good :) , Mary Gauthier next week so I’m going to listen to her latest album.

My ES fix for the week. This one on the recording, has a few too many 'Beatlesque' flourishes (I can hear he was a bit obsessed with George Harrison's guitar work), & as such been in my 2nd divison ES songs drawer.

But find a version that's just the complex acoustic & the simple vocals.. & it's a masterpiece of his, I think. Lyrically here he's definitely at his peak too; sad, in retrospect, with that one enormous word that just freezes you.

This is rare as it's clear audio + him at the best he ever got live, & a suitably reverential audience too, clearly rather spellbound (typically so, apparently).

Capt

And as a 'light pud' the that main ES course..

a charming cover of his super-light, sweetest song: & I've found girls tend to swoon over this one: it's unashamedly (& interestingly) feminine, almost as if Karen Peris had written it, if it wasn't for those typically brief ES 'beatles touches'.

Capt

Check out the quality of these two gems. I'd forgotten all about Edie Brickell, since her fine Shooting Rubber Bands.. album, a favourite for me & my GF back in 1991. Real (decent) GF material album that one! I might dig it out again.

Her voice seems as good if not better- a warm & welcome surprise. From 2003 (which for me is 'up to date'! )

Capt

Soul Music on R4 this morning, on Northern Sky. Some fascinating titbits from Joe Boyd. To turn on the radio afer a lie-in & hear Nick Drake gently lilting away, when I was half asleep.. that's a perfect start to a Saturday.

Capt

advertisement

Back