advertisement

FM aerials. Talk to me

Will that work in a loft ok..?
Yes, but factor in a space 6 feet by 6 feet by 2 feet to accommodate a G17. Also you will have to assemble it up there! I hung mine on string from screws in the rafters as it’s not very heavy.

Got a sort of ‘second’ loft space above a garage extension which is totally unused as of now.
So, should be perfect for Aricebo Mk2 my new antenna.

Got a sort of ‘second’ loft space above a garage extension which is totally unused as of now.
So, should be perfect for Aricebo Mk2 my new antenna.
..only if you can point it, in the right direction.

Me, I built a 'cubical quad' - actually a single turn of 3.2m of 2mm copper wire, 800mm /side. It hides in plain-sight on the front edge of the shelves in one of the book cupboards - and since that's within 5degrees of on-axis from local (80w) repeater - delivers great signal strength / less noise than a dipole (because the magnetic loop, is directional; a dipole is not)

These work:

..only if you can point it, in the right direction.

Me, I built a 'cubical quad' - actually a single turn of 3.2m of 2mm copper wire, 800mm /side. It hides in plain-sight on the front edge of the shelves in one of the book cupboards - and since that's within 5degrees of on-axis from local (80w) repeater - delivers great signal strength / less noise than a dipole (because the magnetic loop, is directional; a dipole is not)
Dipoles are directional, just like a single loop. Both have a very wide "beam" though. A loop has higher gain - I use a loop myself.
The higher the gain of the antenna, the more directional it has to be - physics. This is one reason why there is a lot of debate about the Ron Smith models, as their claimed beamwidth is broad.

Well, the FM4 arrived! Very nice, cleanest one I’ve seen for a long time. Haven’t had a grey one for 20 years.

However, it’s not tuning correctly and the display is dim. So, off to Quad it goes.

And.. now it’s dead. Oh well. Probably the fuse. Quad will sort it.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back