advertisement

flybe

I'm genuinely curious why you are happy with that?
I have an interest that's all.

Because I have friends/family at the far eastern edge of Europe who I like to see once or twice a year and can get direct flights from Gatwick.
That's why.

I used to fly from Southampton to Gatwick once a week with flybe on the turboprop, get the 07:00 up there and the 18:30 back. Don't think I had any major problems in the two years I was using them.

They stopped the early flight which seemed a bit stupid to me as it was always busy.

I suspect the airline staff are ok but senior management is probably inept.

Whenever I've flown Newquay to Gatwick in the past before they moved it to Heathrow the flights were always nigh on full.
Basic on the turboprops but who cares on a 1hr flight.

Certainly no worse than been stuck on a train from Bodmin to London for hours on end,with no certainty that you would ever get there because of the rail line at Dawlish.

Thanks. Been a lot of negativity about losing heathrow.
Heathrow is not the be all and end all of flights from here despite what the business community says,have been listening to the news on this subject regularly since it came up.
There has also been talk of a direct flight from here to Amsterdam Schipol,this could be every bit as good for me and probably for the 'business' community too(depending on flight timing).

Flybe should have to stand on their own 2 feet, as it were. If the routes aren’t commercially viable, why should everyone else have to subsidise planes for folk who choose to live somewhere with bad transport links? I live in the sticks, it’s my choice. I don’t complain about not being able to jump on a plane to visit my family and friends in Cornwall. I know they are bloody miles away and so do they, it’s their choice.

Never good to see any airline or company struggling and the jobs that go with it, so hope Flybe can resolve their problems.

However I do feel government should be actively discouraging people from flying by outlining the clear environmental problems with doing so. Not just that, but also by promoting rail travel and slashing the extortionate fares passengers endure.
It cannot be right that air travel is so much cheaper than the far greener trains.

Trains are not a no-brainer solution though. Look at the furore over HS2. There's an argument that high speed rail is most needed in outlying areas, eg Cornwall, Scotland, West Wales, etc, but the environmental insult in providing/upgrading the infrastructure would be significant. In those terms, there might be an arguable balance to be struck, and a role for short haul air travel.

The sooner we get a decent transport SYSTEM in this country the better for everyone,that does not mean those of us in the sticks have to subsidise London transport or that ludicrous HS2 that will probably end up costing us all 100bn and will serve just a few.

Trains are not a no-brainer solution though. Look at the furore over HS2. There's an argument that high speed rail is most needed in outlying areas, eg Cornwall, Scotland, West Wales, etc, but the environmental insult in providing/upgrading the infrastructure would be significant. In those terms, there might be an arguable balance to be struck, and a role for short haul air travel.

Not saying that gimmick projects such as HS2 won't cause environmental problems. Clearly it will and yes, you're right to say, that there is a role for short haul air travel, especially in places where there's no viable alternative.

On the whole though, I think government should disincentivising air travel and looking to invest more in our railways by reconnecting the long forgotten North. It's ridiculous that you can't get a basic line to two major cities in Manchester and Liverpool for instance. Forget the vanity projects and invest in infrastructure and slash fares. Renationalisation I think would be a good way of having this focus.

advertisement

Back