advertisement

Fly-tipping.

Tried to report flytipping x 3 episodes on our councils website . used to be easy but now its really hard as these little nooks and crannies are not always known on a postcode . got very frustrated . went on FB and reported it, within 10 mins they gave me an email and within minutes they had replied . the local councillor also replied promptly .. good to know the council is on the ball !!!

Has the fly tipping reduced on pfm political threads? I don’t seem to see the same volume of well whiffy far right blogs linked to.

Seriously though, we were getting Guido Fawkes, US white supremacists and hours of YouTube nutters with far right conspiracy theories at one point. At least you grow your own and it is generous in quantity. Johnson barely puts in a fraction of the effort for his £275k from the BBs.

Seriously though, we were getting Guido Fawkes, US white supremacists and hours of YouTube nutters with far right conspiracy theories at one point. At least you grow your own and it is generous in quantity. Johnson barely puts in a fraction of the effort for his £275k from the BBs.

Right wingers are a pernicious toxic waste which needs disposing of properly and permanently!
Should always be disposed of safely and never recycled under any circumstances.

Last edited:
This morning a wooden coffee table and small fish tank placed against our rear wall in the lane. The coffee table flew up into the air and made a deafening noise as it hit the ground - remnants of storm Dennis no doubt; do hope it didn't wake anyone up. :mad:
Reported for collection. Couple of months ago it was an old kitchen unit...again placed very deliberately against our back wall.

Took some garden chairs down the local tip, wouldn't accept them due to possible furniture foam they couldn't deal with. Wife took them to another tip half an hour away. I reported this to the local councillor as a guaranteed way of encouraging fly tipping.

Its a right PITA around our part of S Devon, massive piles of furniture and builders crap dumped in passing places in the lanes. But its not surprising given that actually getting rid of stuff is so difficult and costly now.

Took some garden chairs down the local tip, wouldn't accept them due to possible furniture foam they couldn't deal with. Wife took them to another tip half an hour away. I reported this to the local councillor as a guaranteed way of encouraging fly tipping.
I've had similar at my parents' place in York. We had a garden ornament cast in concrete, it was refused and we were told to take it to a tip on the other side of York. It does indeed encourage fly tipping. My solution was to take it back home, break it into small chunks with a big hammer and to dispose of it with the other household waste.

I firmly believe household waste disposal and recycling should be covered 100% under council tax, i.e. tips are free to access, home collection available for those unable to drive to them.
This was the case over here until say 25 years ago, when the amount of waste per capita was a fraction of what it is today. Meanwhile almost every council charges money, through payable bags. When this was introduced, the number of bags shrunk dramatically, they were now packed like sausages in order to save money. Another positive effect was that it encouraged people to recycle their waste properly, e.g. aluminium, paper, oils, organic waste etc. Sometimes the only way to enforce things goes through the wallet. The system is inequitable though, as families pay more than dinks couples.

yes its a total PITB , so this waste is from an exterior house insulation building project . must be a big house . they kindly left a number of items of ID so we know where it came from in West Mids and its on about 6 FB groups now trying to find the culprit .. Last time someone did this i tracked them down and they got a caution, funnily enough they left a letter in the rubbish from a local councillor addressing their problems with fly tipping

going to cost us a fair amount to clear up

P1080382 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1080381 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1080380 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

This was the case over here until say 25 years ago, when the amount of waste per capita was a fraction of what it is today. Meanwhile almost every council charges money, through payable bags. When this was introduced, the number of bags shrunk dramatically, they were now packed like sausages in order to save money. Another positive effect was that it encouraged people to recycle their waste properly, e.g. aluminium, paper, oils, organic waste etc. Sometimes the only way to enforce things goes through the wallet. The system is inequitable though, as families pay more than dinks couples.
Yeah but...Switzerland. That system just wouldn't work here, enforcement would be zero. IMO it would simply lead to an explosion of fly tipping of domestic waste, along with the usual builders rubble and furniture. The whole process of recycling and waste management appears to be a success in CH, residents happy enough to walk to the communal paladins with their bags, neatly packaged cardboard and paper ready for the pick-up round. Attitudes to the external environment are completely different to here where most appear happy enough to shit on their own doorstep.

Yeah but...Switzerland.
To be fair, if you fly-tipped in most places in Switzerland your refuse would probably fall back on top of you. :)

I'm always amazed at reincarnations of old threads; this one nearly 4 years old and should be well composted by now.

Seriously, I think the British disease (just British?) with rubbish/litter is because schools don't drum the lesson into teenagers. A couple of decades ago dog fouling was endemic, especially on the coast. Now, however, one rarely sees dog mess. Not sure what turned the tide there, though local councils did get their act together.

To be fair, if you fly-tipped in most places in Switzerland your refuse would probably fall back on top of you. :)
Fly-tipping is not easy in CH. We don’t have the large stretches of nearly uninhabited land you have, and social control has always been very strong, it’s even one of the things that defines us (it could be interesting to find out how and why this came about, comes to mind). e.g. Park your car on a spot where you are not supposed to, and don’t be surprised when someone calls the police from behind the curtains.

Around the cities and towns there are of course a lot of handy spots (a small wood and a place for the car) but you can be assured there’s a warning sign, menacing you with a hefty fine.

In larger towns there are often groups of volunteers (usually retired) who, rather than watching afternoon TV, choose to move their arses and pick up waste in parks and along rivers. The reward is usually a yearly fondue 🫕 which is another cute way for meeting new people, never a bad thing when retired.

A Tory guide to extend fly tipping and create more opportunities for criminality:

Social responsibility generally abandoned over forty years of the financialization of everything.

Taxing income and spending not wealth.

Starve local authorities of funding so they look for every petty way they can to raise money including dealing with waste.

Result – more fly tipping.

advertisement

Back