advertisement

Flash news for David Slater... new Floyd box set

Everything until Syd left - the first couple of singles, and the first LP, is really all anyone needs. And Syd's three solo LPs. Everything else is rubbish, without exception.

-- Ian

Everything until Syd left - the first couple of singles, and the first LP, is really all anyone needs. And Syd's three solo LPs. Everything else is rubbish, without exception.

I disagree - I'd add Saucerful Of Secrets, More, the live half of Ummagumma and the Echoes side of Meddle. The Syd period (Piper At The Gate Of Dawn, early singles) is the jewel in the crown, but the following spacerock period was wonderful and also very important - I'm convinced it helped kick-start a lot of the German stuff that happened a couple of years later (69-71), i.e. there are huge similarities between say Saucerful Of Secrets and Tangerine Dream's Electronic Meditation. The Floyd LP came first. Floyd only became intensely tedious once Waters started whinging about being posh and rich and they tried to condense long trippy jams down into 4 minute songs - DSOTM being the launch point for the downward trajectory into maudlin self-pity.

Tony.

By your logic one still needs Saucerful as it has Jugband Blues on it, one of Syd's most beautiful and poignant songs. Damn good album all round (with the obvious exception of Corporal Clegg).

Tony.

-- Ian

saisho.

this would be like telling someone who knows nothing about classical music to checkout the mozart collaborations with da ponte. i don't know who syd is. can you perhaps point me to an album?

vuk.

Ah, apologies, I was assuming some passing familiarity with 60s pop culture. Syd = Syd Barrett. The only Pink Floyd LP he's on all the way through is the first, Piper at the Gates of Dawn. That's the only one I'd bother with. He also made 3 solo LPs, The Madcap Laughs, Barrett, and a later compilation of nearly-finished things, called Opel. The first two of those solo records are certainly worth having.

-- Ian

Personally if I had to lose some pink floyd and keep some I would keep:

ummagumma
meddle
final cut (no really)

That is all.

advertisement

Back