advertisement

Flash Drives - the perfect half way house?

merlin

Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.
Some years ago now, an audiophile designer of some considerable repute told me of what he considered to be the finest dac on the market.

He drew my attention to the Mitsubishi DA-PX1 - a device some of his clients had installed in their reference systems costing many tens of thousands of pounds. I was intrigued as the device was an in car unit that relied on SD cards for storage of music.

I decided not to order one at the time purely because the device was only 24/48 compatible and I was archiving vinyl at 24/96.

Some years later I have taken delivery of the Tascam DA3000 digital recorder, primarily for experimenting with capturing my precious vinyl as bitstream using DSD.

This unit records to SD card and can playback either from that or from a USB flashdrive.

I have, for comparison purposes, the TEAC 501 USB dac which uses the same converters and a similar circuit.

To cut a long story short, the playback from the USB flashdrive is dramatically better than I am getting from any software package running on a MacBook Pro into either Dac.

Why? I'm pretty confident it's not expectation bias as it's the last thing I expected being a cynic. Before being conclusive I would need to do some more controlled tests but I'm already thinking of buying up a load of USB sticks and having my collection available on those.

Anyone else ever tried this medium?

I used to use a modified QLS wav player as a transport, media was played from SD cards into my dac.
At the time it was easily the best sounding transport I had used but I got fed up copying everything to cards and it was limited to Wav files.
I still have it lying around so might give it a whirl again when I get the time.
I have also ripped some music to USB sticks to playback through the USB port of my UV player they sound excellent to.

Interesting.

I think with the Teac accepting 128gb flash drives, it's pretty simple to have most of my favourite albums stored on two or three. Sure beats optical discs and LP's for convenience.

It does make me wonder why this should appear to be the case though.

Was the Mac set to play music from memory cache or from the hard drive? My Mac Mini sounds better if music is played from memory whilst the disks go bye byes.

Cheers,

DV

From the Memory DV. It's actually the only way I can play DSD files on the Macs AFAIK.

Apparently the Naim N Dac sounds best when playing from a USB stick connected on the front panel with WAV files.

advertisement

Back