advertisement

FLAC + PC + Hugo2 v Vinyl + LP12

markharro

pfm Member
Winner?

Or to give a little more detail 80s vintage Lingoed LP12 with silver wired Rega 250 arm and Ortofon Kontrapunkt b through a Tom Evans Microgroove + with recent Lithos upgrade.

I should say that I am thinking about buying the Hugo2 - at the moment I am using an Arcam rDAC.

I've got a similar vinyl set up to yourself (Ittok instead of RB250, and the Cadenza Blue, which was the successor of the Kontrapunkt B, and the LP12 is Cirkused; but with the same phono stage).
My DAC/Pre is the Benchmark DAC2 HGC though.

As to which is the winner - depends on the disc I'm playing.

I have ripped a number of CDs and playing the FLAC file via the rDAC and comparing with the CD played through a Naim CDX there is very little in it.

What I need to do is find a recording on FLAC that I have on vinyl and do a direct comparison!

I have done something similar.

Mac Pro into Hugo (1) into Naim 52/135s vs LP12/Basic into Nait 1.
The LP12 was miles better.

Upstairs I have a Gyrodec/SMEIV/ATOC9 and a Linn KDS1 into a Unison Research Prelude (thanks Rana). The Gyrodec is still miles better. But the KDS is better than the Hugo.

There is no winner.

Some vinyl sounds better than Cd and vice versa, all dependent on the mastering.

Though a decent analogue system costs more.

So in terms of value for money digital 'wins' if cost is your only consideration.

Upstairs I have a Gyrodec/SMEIV/ATOC9 and a Linn KDS1 into a Unison Research Prelude (thanks Rana). The Gyrodec is still miles better. But the KDS is better than the Hugo.

Thats very interesting - were you definitely using FLAC files or another lossless format though?

Digitalis%2BSuperior.jpg

Rip your vinyl to FLAC with a decent ADC. I bet you are hearing the difference Nait1 / NAC52-NAP135. And the Nait isn't shabby, more pleasurable if it has easy going speakers. And, if I may suggest, try a less sterile sounding and "better" DAC or transport, the Hugo isn't that good with the compromised SPDIF from Mac / PC. Some reclocker/jitter remover might help.

Best regards.

advertisement

Back