advertisement

Five signs.....

I was always slightly frustrated with my NAC82/NAP250/HiCap driving SBL's but moving to ATC SCM40's cured that and now I just listen in awe everyday!

Maybe it's not the amps but the speakers?

Birdseed007

I was always slightly frustrated with my NAC82/NAP250/HiCap driving SBL's but moving to ATC SCM40's cured that and now I just listen in awe everyday!

Maybe it's not the amps but the speakers?

Birdseed007
Am I right in thinking the ATCs are less efficient - do you have to turn the wick up with the ATCs, relative to how you listened with the SBLs? If so, then I have a suspicion that some amps like to be put to work, and don't really come on song until you do.

Love it, cue the next Naim pile-in! ;)

I can answer the question from my stand point. The OP must speak for themselves :0)

I bought a Naim amp because back in the day when all I could afford was a Technics SU-V3, a friend, who worked in a major 'Stereo shop' invited me into their fancy demo room and played me an expensive Naim based system, I thought it sounded very impressive. It was, in that it sounded better than the stereo at my home, which was based on my SU-V3!

35 years later, after a long period of not worrying about Stereo equipment, I decided I would buy a new 'stereo'.

With my distant memories still ringing in my ears, I 'treated'* myself to a Naim based Stereo, I didn't bother to try any other brand of amplifier so powerful was the marketing spin combined with my early experience.

* or was this really - limited myself?

I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with my Naim amplifier, I have since learned of its humble heritage and the compromises which that brings with it. In a world where our ability to understand what is happening in the audio system has improved, I have a strong sense that my Naim equipment isn't up to the hype.

Sure I did listen to several Naim systems before deciding on the one, but in essence, I bought on the strength of a single short listening session from over 35 years ago now, with a big leg up from the brand marketing. I was determined to buy a Naim amplifier!

I doubt if my naïve approach is that unusual, I believe most of us are easily swayed by brand awareness/envy, I certainly was.

Am I right in thinking the ATCs are less efficient - do you have to turn the wick up with the ATCs, relative to how you listened with the SBLs? If so, then I have a suspicion that some amps like to be put to work, and don't really come on song until you do.
I think the SBL are 89dB whereas the ATC are 85dB so they do work the NAP250 harder however their real benefit is that they are just a far more accurate and involving listen and have tremendous bandwidth, scale and speed. With the SBL due to the lack of bass warmth I found myself avoiding playing poorly recorded or heavier rock stuff and leaning towards stuff like Fleetwood Mac and Tracy Chapman and Eleanor McEvoy which sounded good, with the ATC I play everything and enjoy it...

Birdseed007

I think the SBL are 89dB whereas the ATC are 85dB so they do work the NAP250 harder however their real benefit is that they are just a far more accurate and involving listen and have tremendous bandwidth, scale and speed. With the SBL due to the lack of bass warmth I found myself avoiding playing poorly recorded or heavier rock stuff and leaning towards stuff like Fleetwood Mac and Tracy Chapman and Eleanor McEvoy which sounded good, with the ATC I play everything and enjoy it...

Birdseed007
There must be something wrong with my SBLs as they have plenty of bass warmth!

There must be something wrong with my SBLs as they have plenty of bass warmth!
Onlyconnect,

I'm glad you're pleased with them but your room must work better with them than either of the two rooms I tried mine in. Don't get me wrong I do appreciate their superb speed/timing, their transparency and their ability with things like acoustic singer songwriter stuff but I was never really happy with the way they handled rockier stuff with what I considered overly dry bass. However just my experience and I realise many others like you love 'em!!

If we all liked the same stuff it would get a bit dull around here after all! Enjoy the music,

Birdseed007

advertisement

Back