advertisement

Fisheye fun

I've been meaning to get something like this to play with for a while. Back in the day the trick was to get an old lens cap and fit a door viewer. I've found something better online of course, less than £4 for something to clip on to a phone, it has 3 lenses to cover macro, wide and fisheye. £4 delivered. Shops are doomed. I can't get a magazine or a cup of coffee and a biscuit for that.

I've been meaning to get something like this to play with for a while. Back in the day the trick was to get an old lens cap and fit a door viewer. I've found something better online of course, less than £4 for something to clip on to a phone, it has 3 lenses to cover macro, wide and fisheye. £4 delivered. Shops are doomed. I can't get a magazine or a cup of coffee and a biscuit for that.

Another alternative is to buy a cheap C-mount pinhole lens from eBay or similar and a C-mount adapter for your camera, should cost buttons, then you can have the Holga effect combined with a fish eye!!

4mm Pinhole on C-mount converter to Fujifilm X-E1

Through The Round Window (Platform Edge) sm
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

That's essentially what the ebay cheapie for the phone is. It's just a clip to hold the lens on the front of the phone while you point it. I don't imagine that the lenses are of any quality, at 3 and a clip for under £4 they are going to be made from the best wibbly wobbly Chinese plastic, but it'll be fun. Nobody said pinhole cameras were distortion free after all, isn't that partly the point?

I've got the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye zoom and used to use that from time to time, although as it's APS-C only I've not used it all since I moved to full-frame. It's quite a fun lens and quite small so easy to carry with you for occasional use.

85605961.9A7FZatN.fisheye_tower1.jpg

Sold my fisheye to get a rectilinear 12mm, and saving for a Laowa 9mm rectilinear, because I do a lot of wide angle stuff, but a wide angle isn't a fish eye, and fisheyes are fun!

Sold my fisheye to get a rectilinear 12mm, and saving for a Laowa 9mm rectilinear, because I do a lot of wide angle stuff, but a wide angle isn't a fish eye, and fisheyes are fun!

The widest non fisheye I have now (for full-frame anyway) is a 14mm Samyang and I do use that a fair bit. Wouldn't mind something a bit wider but I'm not sure I'd use it that much.

In my APS-C days I used a 10-20mm Sigma a lot as well - that was a good lens, and a lot more useful generally than the 10-17mm fisheye.

advertisement

Back