advertisement

First timer Headphones-Grado or Audeze?

music4nusic

pfm Member
Getting my wallet out to but my first set of headphones. I'm considering the Grado PS1000 or the Audeze LCD-2 Rose wood. Anybody here been able to compare the 2 or offer suggestions of competition?

I had Grado RS-1s for around a decade or so and have recently changed to Audeze LCD-2s, which incidentally I bought blind.

Both headphones are very good, the Grado being a much older design (now revised to RS-1i) whilst the Audeze is a relative newcomer.

I prefer the air/spaciousness around the recordings from the Audeze, they are not uncomfortable for me during lengthy listening. To get the best from them you need a good headphone stage or dedicated headphone amp, substitution from the supplied cable may also reap further benefit.

The only issue I had with the Grados was the foam ear cups but these were easily replaced.

I'm impressed with Audeze's after sales operation too, all communications answered promptly, they even sent me a gratis t-shirt.

If you use headphones on the move or away from home Grado's are probably better, although the Audeze range comes with a very sturdy travel case.

As much as I like my new phones and would recommend them I'd still advise an audition of both.

STAX: to my ears even a 'humble' 507 destroys both of them. They timbrically more correct, less couloured and smoother. You'll need a dedicated energiser though.

It has been said "if you're spending that much, you should try some Stax". I don't know how much your budget is, but if it stretches as far as a Stax system, I'd highly recommend them.

I would start by buying something much cheaper as chances are you'll very rarely use them. Or buy a s/h Stax, excellent resale value.

The SR-707 with amp is not the newest model, but it can sometimes be found on eBay. The best headphone I ever heard.

Looking at the price of the Audeze it makes a trip to the USA cost effective, especially with the dollar running at 1.7 to the pound right now.

I heard the SR007 in combination with a dedicated Stax amp. I see not much point in using another product.

advertisement

Back