advertisement

First time with valves - WOW

Weiss-Man

pfm Member
McIntosh headphone amp relegated today with the arrival of this little headphone amp number. The McIntosh was good but I’ve never heard a pair of HD800S sound like this, just incredible what this can do. Considering as well there is no DAC as the music is coming straight from the MacBook Pro. I’ve got it connected to my speakers as well but think I need to spend some time with the positioning of them. I just need to remember to turn around every 30 minutes so I don’t just have a tan on one arm! :eek:
52525233604_e8df1c641d_b.jpg

Yeah, fair doos, I do change around a bit, and yes I have a lovely wife, who certainly doesn’t suffer with me changing boxes.

The biggest frustration I have is that I don’t have a router due to nobody being able to provide us with stable broadband. The upshot of that is that I use the data from my iPad to be able to use the MacBook as a streamer, and it’s lost connection about 6 times this afternoon and, yes it is a pain in the derrière to get up then kneel on the floor and keep trying to re establish the connection on a MacBook that is not easy to reach.

Sometimes I do get to the point where I can’t be arsed with everything and pick up my phone and B&O Bluetooth earbuds. But when I enjoy the system, I really enjoy it. Life’s too short not to try a few different pieces. :D

Yeah, fair doos, I do change around a bit, and yes I have a lovely wife, who certainly doesn’t suffer with me changing boxes.

The biggest frustration I have is that I don’t have a router due to nobody being able to provide us with stable broadband. The upshot of that is that I use the data from my iPad to be able to use the MacBook as a streamer, and it’s lost connection about 6 times this afternoon and, yes it is a pain in the derrière to get up then kneel on the floor and keep trying to re establish the connection on a MacBook that is not easy to reach.

Sometimes I do get to the point where I can’t be arsed with everything and pick up my phone and B&O Bluetooth earbuds. But when I enjoy the system, I really enjoy it. Life’s too short not to try a few different pieces. :D

Have you considered Starlink? It is expensive, but may represent value for you if all other options are off the table.

https://www.starlink.com/

One Web now has a tie up with BT, I think? They may start to have an offer in the not too distant.

A less rxpensive option is a 4G router, if your coverage is OK. You could position that for optimum cellular connection. You will get better performance from this rather than a iPad hot spot.

Thanks so much for that Simon, the situation drives me mad at times, I’ll look into your suggestions, appreciate your input.

I know Jim, hardly portable is it, weighs a ton as well.

The things we do eh!

Thanks Brian, I’ll be honest, when I unboxed it and put it on the kitchen worktop, I just stood and looked at it for 1/2 an hour or so, I think it is the first time with tubes thing, but I was absolutely filled with contentment and the feeling that, at last I’ve found what I have been after all this time. Daft I know.

Thanks Brian, I’ll be honest, when I unboxed it and put it on the kitchen worktop, I just stood and looked at it for 1/2 an hour or so, I think it is the first time with tubes thing, but I was absolutely filled with contentment and the feeling that, at last I’ve found what I have been after all this time. Daft I know.
I think that's what we're all looking for at the end of the day. That and a secure broadband connection of course :D

52633598320_b94fd28052_b.jpg

This has taken a good number of years, but the sound is so pleasureable and I can listen for hours without any fatigue.I love playing around with swapping headphones every couple of weeks, there’s something about each pair I like, and the things I don’t like on a couple can be solved with a very little EQ. Having been playing the LCD-5 for a couple of weeks, I never thought I’d say it, but the HD800S sounded a little bit congested. It is the Grado that I enjoy quite a bit. The amp has 5W output, so delivers a solid grip on things.
Cayin 300B Amp
Cayin CS-100 DAC
MacBook Pro
HD800S
LCD-5
Grado GS2000
LCD-XC

advertisement

Back