advertisement

First Impressions: Riot City Blues - The Primal Scream

royce5

soul searcher
A friend who's a critic dropped off an advance copy of Riot City Blues today, I had 2 listens and remains undecided about it. Let me start by saying, this is old school.

Remember when your mopped-headed garage rock friend made you that compilation tape of all those early Stones (63-65), Nuggets, The Ramones, Thee Headcoates, with some New York Dolls and Hunky Dory -era Bowie thrown-in? or that themed cd on the cover of Mojo?

Well, this is the Scream covering that tape!

The Good - It's all very exuberant, fun, catchy and dumb in the best sense of the word – lyrics are ALL r'n'r cliches, whoops and "one more time!", Bobby's pipes (for him at least) are in top form, and at their age, they have no right to sound so young.

The Bad - At their age, they have no right to sound so young and dumb. It doesn't add anything new to the mix at all.

Is it as bad as Give Out But Don't Give Up? Well, it's more fun to listen to but Give Out at least tries to genre-blend, it's straight up garage punk here

Scream has always been upfront about their magpie approach to their music but since Screamadelica, they (or their producers) have injected their own twisted take of the rocknroll cliches by blasting them with noise, distortion and spaced madness. This time it's almost as if someone has switched off the "Primal Scream FX pedal", forgotten about their more out-there influences (Krautrock, funk, dub, electro, etc.) and what we got instead was a set of well produced B-sides and warm ups.

Is it crap? it depends if you have a sense of humour. For someone who considered their last 4 (Vanishing Point, Echodek, XTMNTR, Evil Heat) as near-masterpieces, I am quite disappointed but as a standalone piece of music, I did find it fun, highly listenable and probably even better when live.

It's better than the mannerisms of White Stripes but lacked the fire of The Black Keys. But then again, I think Bat Out of Hell betters Born to Run - so what do I know.

Critics would probably laugh this one off the planet. Imagine after Abbey Road, The Beatles releases a roots rock album -- oh, they did ;)

I liked it but I got no taste in music, but if you only value originality and vitriol in rock, save it for another album, cause this ain't it.

From the few bits I've heard it definitely seems a step back from Xtmntr, which I think probably stands as their finest moment. Mani's still a top chap though.

-- Ian

An excellent review, thanks. You should do it for a living, as it's miles better than most of what's printed in the music press.

Thanks Joe, but the thing is I find something redeemable in almost everything!

I think other that they are a rubbish singles band, post Screamadelica, I have never LOVED any one of their singles besides If they move Kill em all and Accelerator. Rocks? Funky Jam? Panther Girl? Country Girl? WTF??

Having said that their B-sides were always amazing, I mean, When the Kingdom Comes was the best Jam song the Who never wrote! And it had Weller on lead, Kevin Shields on distortion AND Mani on bass!

On the same EP, they covered 5 years ahead of My Time with Jaki Liebezeit doing the loops... mind blown...

Agreed, excellent review! You seem to have a similar opinion to their work as I do, so I guess it's going to be a disappointment then.

Thanks.

For those interested here's a track by track breakdown using Rock history as a shorthand:-

The breakdown >

Country Girl : Honky Tonk Woman plus Pogue-sy mandolin freakout
Nitty Gritty : any of those Jumpin Jack Flash inspired rocker
Suicide Sally* : Trash-era New York Dolls
When the Bomb Drops* : Funhouse-era Stooges
Little Death* : 2000 Light Years form Home meets 5 Years Ahead of My Time or any freakbeat Nuggets gem
99th Floor : "Not Fade Away" or any 63-64 Stones "beat" classics with chugga chugga Keef's Bo Diddlyisms
We're Gonna Boogie* : 64 Stones meets Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac
Dolls : Bowie's "Queen Bitch" meets poppy Velvets
Hell's Comin' Down: Pogues covers Stones cover of "Little by Little"
Sometimes I feel so Lonely: Gram Parsons covering Stones "No Expectations"

asterisks indicates one's I enjoyed.

advertisement

Back