advertisement

First hifi experience...

My first HIFI experience? About three or four years of age when my dad came home with a Marantz amp, Linn LP12 and I can't remember what speakers... I was completely fascinated. That system didn't hang around too long thanks to the booming mortgage rates of the mid 80s, but a few years later, my aunt bought a full Linn system and I was totally in awe of it.

kind of always been there when i grew up my dad had ever changing kit remember big Spendors with Linn set up was rather good.

eyes open moment was my older brother who started with 72/140/hicap into epos 12 I think? that went all the way to 52, 135s and active SBLs

still trying to get close to that wow moment even today!

Perhaps 8 or 9 years old when I first noticed my Father's Hifi, probably because Mother bought him a big, shiny Revox R2R with nice red LCD display as a present. He obviously had a TT, shelves full of vinyl and white bookshelf speakers ... high up on the shelves ... . No idea of what individual stuff was other than the Revox which was quite a talking point, mostly about us not getting anywhere near it.

My first HIFI experience? About three or four years of age when my dad came home with a Marantz amp, Linn LP12 and I can't remember what speakers... I was completely fascinated. That system didn't hang around too long thanks to the booming mortgage rates of the mid 80s, but a few years later, my aunt bought a full Linn system and I was totally in awe of it.
I like the fact that you have stayed faithful to the Linn gear. Real love affair.

I like the fact that you have stayed faithful to the Linn gear. Real love affair.
Definitely, I've tried loads of other stuff but always come back to Linn. The system I have now is a real sweet spot too, whilst it's hardly beer budget, I don't have mortgage money invested into it, and it looks (and sounds) fabulous.

The other brand I had that I really liked was Roksan, I had a full, top of the line Caspian M1 system and it was really lovely... I have a Roksan arm on my LP12... oh and I love Rega too!

PS, I'm also partial to a bit of Naim...

Definitely, I've tried loads of other stuff but always come back to Linn. The system I have now is a real sweet spot too, whilst it's hardly beer budget, I don't have mortgage money invested into it, and it looks (and sounds) fabulous.

The other brand I had that I really liked was Roksan, I had a full, top of the line Caspian M1 system and it was really lovely... I have a Roksan arm on my LP12... oh and I love Rega too!

PS, I'm also partial to a bit of Naim...
Nice to see someone who has settled into the music and sound they love.

Nice to see someone who has settled into the music and sound they love.

Exactly that. I've invested a fair bit in the last couple of years. I'm feeling content with the system I have. I'm looking at DAC Upgrades at the moment; future proofing and I've got more Compact Discs than Records at the moment...

I'm glad I had the opportunity to listen to and learn (a tiny bit) about Hi Fi from an early age...

advertisement

Back