advertisement

First Batch of M50 & M100 to Holland

CJ14

O.H.
Well the first very small batch of M50 Pro Power Amp (2) and M100 Pro Power Amp (1) with the M50P Pro Pre incl simply DAC (2) are on the way to Holland in the morning. I am just week or so late to Flu Bug, but still worried they may hate them.

25311188_1943524225965649_7873805962703219286_o.jpg

25358354_1943522225965849_4351718812439401106_o.jpg

23550173_1925645424420196_8684063454583813634_o.jpg

So comments please on style would be most welcome.

Not powder coated but hard black anodized. And solid Aluminium Knobs, transistor are on ceramic heat spreader and the pre has SECA Headphone output stage at 2W.
When OFF and in idle mode the pre has a low voltage power on circuit from +-25V to +-5V to keep caps formed in psu stage, this also helps to reduce the misused start up sequence of pre then power thump.
So on standby the pre takes about 2W and full ON 25W.

I like the simple black anodized look a lot, and I would certainly enjoy having these on my rack. If I were to be very picky, I'd drop the three dots above the selector switch, which don't quite align perfectly with the selector dots. And I might perhaps have dots rather than lines on the knobs (but the lines look fine). The Onix knobs in the 80s set the standard for me in this respect. Does the DAC section have a coaxial input as well as the USB? And does it have a remote?

To expand Andrews comments slightly, the text style looks a bit 'flaky' IMHO. could do with being slicker. Plus the volume logo is a bit pointless as are the three dots above the selector. Perhaps it should all be in the same 'black on black' style as your logo?

Yes, I agree with Raj about the text, but I think it's probably not the font itself; just that there is a bit too much text and it gets squashed together. The word line could be cut.

Last edited:
It's pretty close to being perfect IMO, Logo is great, you should use that to identify the brand, maybe you can keep the three dots above the selector, and the wedge above the volume, get rid of the wording and just leave the selector dots, done. PM me if you need any (free) photography of the final amps.

I think they look quite good, would love to hear them. I too like the logo. Probably my only thought is make the preamp power switch black as well, it all looks rather stealthy in a beastly way. Do we get any "nudie" shots?

I think they look quite good, would love to hear them. I too like the logo. Probably my only thought is make the preamp power switch black as well, it all looks rather stealthy in a beastly way. Do we get any "nudie" shots?

I've met Colin. You don't want those.

Power amps look great.

Few comments on the preamp:

- The 'LINE' labels are redundant. Why not just USB, and 1/2/3/4?
- Why have USB in the middle of the analogue inputs?
- Why the heatsinks on the preamp? Form should follow function, and they're definitely not needed.

That's being picky. The aesthetics certainly shouldn't deter anyone. In other words, if it performs well, then I'd be very surprised if the looks or quality of the casework deterred potential customers.

Heatsink needed to keep PSU nice and cool and the SECA Headphone cool
USB I was told by Hugh it looked balanced.

Nude shoot of me you poor man, a rotten apple looks better and has less wrinkle honest. LOL;)
Ask Mr Brown he has seem me topless taken a shower in the garden scaring the kids.

Well I took over to Holland a few bits of kit by the Channel Tunnel.
The weather was dreadful rain and more rain with gale force winds.
A two que around Antwerp after leaving home driving through bad lighting on roads in France the into my beloved Belgium to 4 hours to join.
I left home at midnight and the Flu Bug was still trying to kill me and got to Ede in Holland at 11.00AM local time.
Received a very warm welcome from Louis who owns Artspeak in Holland with hot coffee and cheese.
Then arrived Bryan and Kelly a charming couple and greeted my like a old friend, smashing.
We then had a listen to the EWA products.

1 M100 Pro a 100W/ch dual mono power amp with balance and unbalanced inputs
2 M50 Pro a 50W/ch stereo power amp with balance and unbalanced inputs
2 M50P Pro a 4 line input pre with a simple monitor DAC and balance and unbalanced out.

We also had a great performance from Louis on the Roland drum kit that was amazing.

So on standby the pre takes about 2W and full ON 25W.

The power amps are based on the same design as the Q20 but the M100 has 16 output devices and driver/ch and the M50 has 8 sets/ch.
Also note the transistor are rated at 150W and max current each of 16A,
The M100 pro is a bridge amp.
The head phones amp in the pre is a SECA design based around my 20W and 50W design but smaller.

Next time I am taken Mr Brown so he can play the drum kit like he did at the studio in Somerset.

advertisement

Back