advertisement

First Album on with new kit.

For LP - 'Romantic Warrior' by Return To Forever

For CD - 'Blue Light 'til Dawn' by Cassandra Wilson

Fragile Yes, Heart of the Sunrise, for that bass and drum build up with a tron background.

It's usually one of these ...

Pink Moon, Nick Drake
Magical Mystery Tour, the Beatles
The Stone Roses
Time On Earth, Crowded House
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Pink Floyd

The original Pentangle album -even with the completely over the top and down the other side overuse of the pan pot -great playin n singin and enough instruments for me to judge if what it's playin thru is better or worse than any of the thousand other times I've enjoyed this album. And Kind of Blue for some reason or another simply hasn't been worn out as pleasant listening experience -despite having played one version or another of this piece almost as often as "Pentangle" ? OTOH- if I never hear any version of DSOM again - that'll be just fine.

My go-to seems to be Talking Heads "The Name of This Band is Talking Heads". Particularly Side 1.

For out and out dynamics probably Talvin Singh ‘Traveller’ as loud as you dare (push the fu k out of it)! female voice: Jill Scott & Melody Gardot. male voice: Johnny Cash & Sufjan Stevens (Wallowa Lake Monster). transients: Public Service Broadcasting - 'The Race for Space'. live: Dire Straits. Rhythm: Bran Van 3000 - Sex, Love, Peace (mucky sounding track). Big band: Hot 8 Brass Band rendition of Sexual Healing and for decent music David Bowie or Stevie Wonder. All good at that point I would look at buying the Demo’d gear. I’m assuming that no one has bought anything seriously expensive without knowing how it sounds in their system. Just like me then shoot first and bodge it afterwards....

Last edited:
Cupid & Psyche - hat’s a stonkingly good album and a brilliant test for any kit. Great choice indeed.

Had to resurrect this. An album I’ve possibly played more than any other, yet heard something tonight I’d never noticed before. Recently been enjoying the £20 Rotel CD player I plumbed into the system last month, so thought I’d give the CD of C&S a go and Perfect Way......wait, what?? Pause, skip back, no hang on, that’s not right. Completely different opening from the LP version. Couldn’t find any reference to it anywhere, other than a variation in track length. I know album versions often differ from the edits done for single releases, but this is the same album on CD and vinyl. I accept this is a niche query, but anyone else come across this?

Planet Clair on vinyl
Breezeblocks on CD

Pete

I've got the first B52's album on vinyl, bought it when it came out so it's years old

Nothing else I've got comes close to the sound of Planet Claire, it's amazing, I played it the other night then immediately afterwards played it on spotify, so disappointing

First on is usually -

Bowie 'Ziggy Stardust etc'
Doors 'LA Woman'
Chemical Brothers 'Exit Planet Dust'
PJ Harvey 'Rid of me'

All LPs, no CDs in this gaffe.

I've got the first B52's album on vinyl, bought it when it came out so it's years old

Nothing else I've got comes close to the sound of Planet Claire, it's amazing, I played it the other night then immediately afterwards played it on spotify, so disappointing
I have it on cd as well but it’s just not the same.

Pete

advertisement

Back