advertisement

Films/Movies, Old & New - Recommendations and Reviews

The Dig (Netflix) based on the Sutton Hoo excavation of an Anglo-Saxon burial ship in 1939. Redolent of an era of class, manners and simpler rural living (perhaps imaginary) that some of us feel we just about caught the end of.
Brilliant performance by Ralph Fiennes as the amateur ‘excavator’ whose work led to the discovery of the treasure. A welcome change from the multitude of Mafia, Cops and Robbers, weird sci-fi and other dystopian stuff that seems to abound these days.
Yes, thats a superb film.

I haven’t seen anything worth commenting on of late -

We saw this film on netflix yesterday.

AmbuLAnce (2022) a Michael Bay film starring Jake Gyllenhaal

Fast paced, interesting cinematography and a slightly untidy feel to the storyline. I enjoyed the use of drones to film some of the action scenes.

Jake Gyllenhaal is a baddie in this. Eiza González plays a good role, and I liked the insight into the paramedics coping mechanisms.

Not brilliant, but not bad…

A very funny minor gem is a film called "The Gods MustBe Crazy"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gods_Must_Be_Crazy
"Xi, a hunter-gatherer of the Kalahari Desert whose tribe discovers a glass Coca-Cola bottle dropped from an aeroplane, and believe it to be a gift from their gods. When Xi sets out to return the bottle to the gods, his journey becomes intertwined with that of a biologist (Marius Weyers), a newly hired village school teacher (Sandra Prinsloo), and a band of guerrilla terrorists"

No "A" list actors, No Hollywood woke or sex or expensive cgi or trillion $ budgets just funny. If you can find it any where worth a couple of hours

"Xi, a hunter-gatherer of the Kalahari Desert whose tribe discovers a glass Coca-Cola bottle dropped from an aeroplane, and believe it to be a gift from their gods. When Xi sets out to return the bottle to the gods, his journey becomes intertwined with that of a biologist (Marius Weyers), a newly hired village school teacher (Sandra Prinsloo), and a band of guerrilla terrorists"

No "A" list actors, No Hollywood woke or sex or expensive cgi or trillion $ budgets just funny. If you can find it any where worth a couple of hours

I think I may have seen that a long time ago.

Any idea how we can find out how to view it? or is it a buy-the-DvD film?

I think I may have seen that a long time ago.

Any idea how we can find out how to view it? or is it a buy-the-DvD film?

it was on UK Freeview Tv some time ago. I will see if I can upload to my Onedrive. so watch this spot
I will upload again to a different format so can watch without downloading

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aod4gd5bTdrXp9IEeGNnRyeGiJdgrQ?e=DveTno

You can watch it here ( rather small) or download. The quality is rather low as it was on one of those strange Freeview channels. Some nice gags eg the terrorists fleeing from govt forces in a banana plantation falling over the proverbial banana skins. To download click the arrow top left

Last edited:

I'd call it a 'cult favorite.' Perpetuates silly colonist folk myths, but comedies are silly after all. Certainly a worthy viewing choice!

We watched Amsterdam (2022) yesterday. (available on amazon prime)

Stella cast, based on a true story with a slight feel of Wes Anderson.
The film skips about rather than a linear timeline, normally that irritates me, but not with this film.
Not a brilliant film, but the director made it interesting and the cast is top notch. There are a nice couple of twists in what sometimes Film Noir.
It is set in the 1930’s and explores the rise in fascism whilst telling a crime story and a love story. Not a light film, but not heavy either.
Christian Bale has a feel of Daniel Day-Lewis about him?.. (I think)

Watched a few good movies at the weekend, all very good and interesting.

Death Of A Ladies man about a guy with a tumour (brain) causing him to hallucinate which is pretty funny the film is based on Leonard Cohen‘s music the bird on the wire scene is hilarious and apparently the film director bases his work on cohen’s music.

This one’s on Apple movies @£5 to rent well worth it IMO.

Parallel mothers on bbc iPlayer basically it’s about a country (Spain) trying to convince people to forget the disappeared of the civil war, basically telling lies and withholding information about loved ones, I loved it an excellent film but then I love all of almodovar’s films.

Master Cheng again on iPlayer this one’s about a Chinese guy and his son who end up in the arse end of Finland, he’s looking for someone who he met whilst he was running his own restaurant in Shanghai and wanted to pay the guy back cause he helped Cheng, a chef, get his life back on track but he can’t find the guy because his pronunciation is poor so people don’t understand who he’s talking about.

Loved it great performances and plot and scenery.

sorry to say i just love this film ... yes its quirky but scenery is great and it could and probably does happen. its on TV tonight i believe

advertisement

Back