advertisement

Films/genres that leave you cold

I really don’t mind a rom com. Pretty sure I watched Love Actually again last year (it may have been on at Christmas) I know I’ve revisited “Serendipity” this year ( impossible to get too much Kate Beckinsale in my opinion;)).

One real pet hate is dark cinematography, like Batman etc. The least the director can do is make the film bright enough for me to see the bloody characters!

I loved horror in the late 70’s early 80’s but never revisited that particular genre. Marvel tends to leave me cold but I did quite enjoy the original Deadpool with Mr Reynolds, in fact I remember seeing the Clint Eastwood Deadpool at the cinema back in the day along with the other Dirty Harry movies.

For me, It Follows showed that horror can be done very well and transcend genre tropes. Yes, there is a central paranormal phenomenon that requires suspension of disbelief, but once that's accepted, it's absolutely brilliant. My wife made us sleep with the lights on the night we watched it.

It Follows is genuinely creepy! Really liked that film. Not a huge fan of horror but there are a few hidden gems here and there…

Any movie buffs on this thread old enough to live through the Exorsist and Clockwork Orange stooshie that happened in the 70’s. I was to young but I remember my brother telling me of people walking out the cinema and lots of news coverage. I think it was early eighties before I got to see them both.

All of those 'slasher' films that purport to be horror (Saw, Hostel etc etc). Not horrifying, just out to shock. A good horror doesn't need blood and guts; The Haunting of Hill House is a good example.

I really hate that. And handheld, shaky camera. Can't they afford a decent tripod?

More so than any specific genre, I loath the use of so-called shaky-cam that seemed to be everywhere during the nineties, and still is at times. A technique that draws attention to the process and artifice of film-making, and always (for me) destroys suspension of disbelief.

I don't enjoy musicals much, not because many aren't well done, but I find myself thrown out of what may be an engaging narrative by characters that, at a pivotal moment, break into song (and dance routine). Building of interest, drama, tension, continuity has evaporated - gone!

John

More so than any specific genre, I loath the use of so-called shaky-cam that seemed to be everywhere during the nineties, and still is at times. A technique that draws attention to the process and artifice of film-making, and always (for me) destroys suspension of disbelief.

I don't enjoy musicals much, not because many aren't well done, but I find myself thrown out of what may be an engaging narrative by characters that, at a pivotal moment, break into song (and dance routine). Building of interest, drama, tension, continuity has evaporated - gone!

John
That’s why I don’t like musicals, despite liking opera. It’s not a snobby thing - I don’t thing opera is “better”, it’s just I can’t deal with that weird disconnect in musicals where a spoken drama scene ends with someone suddenly bursting into song :

He's going to tell! - Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) - YouTube

LOTR would have been great if they'd cut out all the hiking, talking, elves, hobbits, etc, and just kept the battle scenes.

Horror films was a thing of my (early) teens, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Theatre of Blood, and later, The Exorcist, Halloween, Friday the 13th and the very scary 1974 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.
When the horror comedy of The Evil Dead (1981) came along, I was primed nicely for Sam Raimi et al. I stopped being frit, and enjoyed the gore and jumps.
Something like the 1984 amazingly dark Blood Simple held the tension better than any horror after then.
Imagine my surprise when we went to see The Blair Witch Project (1999) at the cinema. This had me captured as the horror of my early youth. I understand that it is a Marmite film, but it gripped me. The person I was with was nonplussed.
Something like George A. Romero Land of the Dead (2005) was entertaining, but in no way scary. His earlier films, with the cheapness and seriousness are far better.
Family/House favourites like Peter Jackson’s Bad Taste, Brain Dead or Meet The Feebles (ace but vile) are regarded as funny rather than in anyway horror.
“Save me the head Reg, I want to suck his brains out…”

Mad God (2022) was the last film that caught me unawares. I had no idea what to expect, and it flattened me - and anyone I have shown it to. I started a thread on it, as it is worthy of discussion and promotion. Horrific and mesmerising.

One real pet hate is dark cinematography, like Batman etc. The least the director can do is make the film bright enough for me to see the bloody characters!

My pet hate is TV shows or films with huge dynamic range and actors who mumble their lines. I usually either turn on subtitles or watch something else because I don't want the TV to blow its speakers after Mr Mumble has finished and they cut to an explosion / nightclub / motorbike.
IMO this problem gets worse every year, both mumbling actors (poor sound recording?) and huge dynamic range.
Funny really given that almost all modern pop music is compressed so as to have NO dynamic range.

Not really into horror, and TBH most SciFi is pretty poor. The only horror film I remember really enjoying was "American Werewolf" - that's a great movie IMO.

My pet hate is TV shows or films with huge dynamic range and actors who mumble their lines. I usually either turn on subtitles or watch something else because I don't want the TV to blow its speakers after Mr Mumble has finished and they cut to an explosion / nightclub / motorbike.
IMO this problem gets worse every year, both mumbling actors (poor sound recording?) and huge dynamic range.
Funny really given that almost all modern pop music is compressed so as to have NO dynamic range.

So I guess the mumblecore genre is right out then. :)

Not really into horror, and TBH most SciFi is pretty poor. The only horror film I remember really enjoying was "American Werewolf" - that's a great movie IMO.

Was there not an issue highlighted a few ears back that some productions had reduced/removed the sound guys which contributed to the poor recordings of speech in movies?

advertisement

Back