advertisement

Film scanner recommendation

taffyboy1

pfm Member
I want to edit some old 35mm film and need to get a scanner that will give 'good' results, only looking to print at a max size of 10 x 12 inches.

what is minimum spec scanner i need to get?

regards

Taffyboy

Depending on how computer literate you are, an epson flatbed scanner designed for up to 120 format film will sort you out. I use an older 4490, but the more modern version is called the V550:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ECBRW5E/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

If you are scanning colour negatives, you'll find the above will do an excellent job with little effort as the digital dust removal system will clean the results up. Expect it to look very soft compared to digital cameras, but that's the reality of 35mm film (so a 3200 dpi scan is about the limit).

I scan B&W and C41 negatives, although saying that, i've not scanned much recently..

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
...the digital dust removal system will clean the results up

Small point, you can't successfully use IR based dust removal with 'traditional' b&w films. There can also be an issue with IR dust removal with Kodachrome on some systems.

Colour print and reversal (C41 and E6) are not a problem - that includes the C41 based b&w films such as Ilford XP2.

advertisement

Back