advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

I'm revisiting a tiny gem of a series I discovered last winter, when I tore through each short 10 min episode & like other diehard fans, was gutted when it wasn't recommissioned after season 2. Not surprisingly to us fans though as the viewing figures were likely extremely low. As such it sits there poised & kinda perfect to me just as it is.

Joe Pera Talks With You.

Very 'slow-tv', awkward, charming, & pure: a unique tiny quiet series most will likely loathe, but that's ok. I'm watching it hunkered down in my log cabin on an iPad, crackling log fire & the sound of my stream outside. Winter TV bliss, to me.

Capt

Last edited:
At first I though the conclusion to Fargo was too fast and too easy, but by the end of the episode they redeemed their choice of how to pace the hour of TV.

At first I though the conclusion to Fargo was too fast and too easy, but by the end of the episode they redeemed their choice of how to pace the hour of TV.
As you have broached the subject. I thought the last 20minutes pious nonsense.
I really would like to understand. 98% wonderful television.
i happily finished when Hamm understood his future.

I finished watching Dexter: New Blood last night and well, I'm not sure about it. I began watching the follow up straight after having watched all eight seasons of the original... but the continuity just didn't seem right somehow. Whether that's because of the jarring change of scenery, the notable aging of the protagonist, or the introduction of so many new characters along with the absence of so many established characters, I don't know. Maybe I should have waited 10 years before watching it to allow for a more authentic viewing experience in keeping with the timeline.

The other thing that stood out was the focus on young characters. It made sense in some ways - including from a franchise, spin-off point of view - but they were pure dweebs. I couldn't help but think of the Kevin Bridges routine in which he tells the crying baby to toughen up. I'll watch Dexter: New Blood again at some point to see if it improves with a second viewing, which can sometimes happen. But as it is, I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Fwiw, here's the aforementioned Kevin Bridges routine:

I watched Top Gun a few days ago and then Top Gun Maverick last night and there's no doubt about it, they're both fantastic action films. I've seen Top Gun a few times over the years and it was one of the best from the '80s for sure. I'd heard people say Top Gun Maverick was a cracker and sure enough, it's a cracker. It starts with a nod to Tony Scott's original before delivering a worthy successor in its own right. It's safe to say Hollywood can still knock out a knock out blockbuster and Tom Cruise is still the top guy to do it. Both films are totally recommended.

SPOILER ALERT: Tom Cruise saves the day!

I watched Top Gun a few days ago and then Top Gun Maverick last night and there's no doubt about it, they're both fantastic action films. I've seen Top Gun a few times over the years and it was one of the best from the '80s for sure. I'd heard people say Top Gun Maverick was a cracker and sure enough, it's a cracker. It starts with a nod to Tony Scott's original before delivering a worthy successor in its own right. It's safe to say Hollywood can still knock out a knock out blockbuster and Tom Cruise is still the top guy to do it. Both films are totally recommended.

SPOILER ALERT: Tom Cruise saves the day!
I was never much of a fan of the original Top Gun, a bit too gung-ho American for me. But SWMBO dragged me along to the cinema to see Maverick, and contrary to my expectations I enjoyed it immensely. Exciting, great cinematography, gripping. I've since bought the original Top Gun on 4K Bluray disc & now I appreciate it too.

I watched three colours red the other night, described as a masterpiece, great film I liked it dunno about masterpiece though, think I’d need to watch it again.

Acting is amazing though especially ’God’ the judge, the film kinda reminded me of Wings of Desire which is a masterpiece.

Pretty sure I’ve watched three colours blue previously don’t think I’ve ever watched ‘white’ though.

Definitely worth a couple of hours of your life IMO.

BTW, Rita the dog is amazing :)

Tom Cruise has always intrigued me. I can't square the actor with the person (specifically his involvement with "that" church).

I enjoy the Sci-Fi films he's made, (Edge of Tomorrow, Oblivion etc) not a huge fan of his "action" films. I couldn't even watch the first 15 minutes of the OG Top Gun and have never felt the urge to revisit it either (for example). Jack Reacher ones are tolerable (if totally cliche) though, as is Minority Report

Yeah, just like Lewis Hamilton's fashion choices, I'm not too bothered about Tom Cruise's religious persuasion. But I'm a huge fan of Hamilton as a racer and I like a lot of Tom Cruise films all the same, although certainly not all of them. As for Top Gun, I'd say it there's more to it than the first 15 minutes. But each of us has our tastes and whatnot so if the first 15 minutes don't do it for you then the first 15 minutes don't do it for you. But the 16th minute and onwards? Totally recommended!

Yeah, just like Lewis Hamilton's fashion choices, I'm not too bothered about Tom Cruise's religious persuasion. But I'm a huge fan of Hamilton as a racer and I like a lot of Tom Cruise films all the same, although certainly not all of them. As for Top Gun, I'd say it there's more to it than the first 15 minutes. But each of us has our tastes and whatnot so if the first 15 minutes don't do it for you then the first 15 minutes don't do it for you. But the 16th minute and onwards? Totally recommended!
I suspect I was heavily (negatively) influenced by this :p :D

😣😣😣

I watched three colours red the other night, described as a masterpiece, great film I liked it dunno about masterpiece though, think I’d need to watch it again.

Acting is amazing though especially ’God’ the judge, the film kinda reminded me of Wings of Desire which is a masterpiece.

Pretty sure I’ve watched three colours blue previously don’t think I’ve ever watched ‘white’ though.

Definitely worth a couple of hours of your life IMO.

BTW, Rita the dog is amazing :)
White is often seen as the weakest of the trilogy but its very much worthy of a watch.
Zbigniew Zamachowski is his usual brilliant self in the lead role, a very funny but moving film.

Tom Cruise has always intrigued me. I can't square the actor with the person (specifically his involvement with "that" church).

I enjoy the Sci-Fi films he's made, (Edge of Tomorrow, Oblivion etc) not a huge fan of his "action" films. I couldn't even watch the first 15 minutes of the OG Top Gun and have never felt the urge to revisit it either (for example). Jack Reacher ones are tolerable (if totally cliche) though, as is Minority Report
yes HQ not far from me ... its impressive architecturally !!!!

I just watched Tenet there and I can't wait to never watch it again... what a load of rubbish! Plus, the sound mixing was completely off as dialogue was buried while everything else was turned up to the max. I bought the blu ray in a charity for a quid and it's going straight back. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

advertisement

Back