advertisement

"Filament" type LED bulbs fail much more than the other kind (?).

By far the best dimmers I have tried to date are the Varilight Pro with LED.
Certainly not the cheapest though.
The best filament LEDS have been by Calex.
The big calex bulbs I purchased have been very good to date, and do have a long specified life.
How long that turns out to be? Three years so far.
Varilight
My dimmers are fixed, if that isn't a contradiction in terms... It's a stylistic congruence thing. I'm beginning to wonder whether there might be more of a connection between built-in obsolesence and built-in candescence than previously recognised.

Aren't candescent and incandescent the same thing? Like flammable and inflammable.

I thought the prefix in meant not, but perhaps that doesn't apply to hot things. Where's our resident English teacher?

Only a LED string with current set by series resistors is dimmable by a triac ontroller. The units with a smps try to maintain constant brightness over a wide supply voltage range. I have more exotic LED lighting where a remote control sets the smps current.

Dimmer switches have to be led conpatible. LED lamps have to be dimmable. All bedrooms here have the pair and have worked for years.

Bought lap leds for the garage and all six failed within a month of each other after less than a year

Aren't candescent and incandescent the same thing? Like flammable and inflammable.

I thought the prefix in meant not, but perhaps that doesn't apply to hot things. Where's our resident English teacher?
I think it is a Latin teacher we need.

Until this thread I didn’t even know candescent was an actual word! Still less that it means the same as incandescent.

I am incredulous and inconsolable, it’s intolerable.

I'm no English teacher but as you say like (in)flammable they are synonyms sharing a root from Latin "candere", to glow. I've never heard "candescent" before yesterday. This root will also have given us "candle" and "candela", this being the unit of light intensity.

Until this thread I didn’t even know candescent was an actual word! Still less that it means the same as incandescent.

I am incredulous and inconsolable, it’s intolerable.
Look at the good side. You (we) have a new word! "She gazed out over the candescent sunset." "There was a strange candescence in his eyes..."

Mi dispiace, non posso parlare latino. Sto cercando di imparare l'italiano, ma tu parli gia molte bene l'italiano.
Ero convinto che tutti gli inglesi conoscessero un poco (un po') di latino. Amo, amas, amat, amamus, amatis, amant. Io ho preso 21% al mio "O level" di latino.

Ero convinto che tutti gli inglesi conoscessero un poco (un po') di latino. Amo, amas, amat, amamus, amatis, amant. Io ho preso 21% al mio "O level" di latino.
Latin in schools? Not for many decades unless you go to a *very* expensive school. I never studied it, I encountered it only in my biology lessons and via interest in French and seeing the parallels. Ooh look, a cognate!

Latin in schools? Not for many decades unless you go to a *very* expensive school. I never studied it, I encountered it only in my biology lessons and via interest in French and seeing the parallels. Ooh look, a cognate!
I think my glorious O Level was around 1968.....

The only LED bulbs I use are the filament type. I bought good qaulity Philips bulbs and have had an alarming number of failures within a year. However I still prefer incandescent and the extra energy used isn’t really going to break the bank. Luckily they are easily readily available online and sold as rough use or street lamp use only.

I still don’t find, even good LED filament bulbs, either 2000k or 2700k have the warmth of a tungsten filament.

advertisement

Back