advertisement

Festival of Sound - Hammersmith W6 - 27-29th September

Millennium

pfm Member
https://festivalofsound.co.uk/tickets/?utm_source=Audio+Sanctuary&utm_campaign=a3022b5d85-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_09_11_07_28_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4a7a2a2231-a3022b5d85-323013621

Has anyone been to the Festival of Sound in West London before? They are showing some HiFi systems and some live performance may be interesting. I assume they will be well engineered!

If you have been, could you recommend a day, or if you are going could you drop me a PM? Also, it's worth checking the link above and if you do I would appreciate it if you would suggest the best day or 2 maybe to attend.

There is also a lot of headphone stuff but I'm less interested in that these days. Probably a digital domain thing.

Also if you're going to be exhibiting feel free to use this thread to SHOW OFF!

Cool thanks! Looks to be a pretty interesting event. Any suggestions for which day to come which things to see which things are worth payin more to see cause they have extra performances which seem to cost a litte more .... :)
Anyway !! thanks for the links. I read the first and scanned the 2n d

I went to the last two shows, when it was called 'Indulgence'.
I really liked the shows, though attendance was sparse due, I suspect, to the confusing show name and themes. It had one floor full of lifestyle products (food, drink, travel). Not your usual audiophile fare when attending what is primarily a hi-fi show.

There was an excellent range of audio equipment and headphones on display and I personally rate it as much better than the Chester Group or HiFi News audio shows.

I hope the new name/marketing results in better footfall.

I'll be going on the Friday when it's presumably a little quieter.

I've been to the Hammersmith show twice, when it was called Indulgence.

Last year I went to listen to Kii Three and Yamaha NS-5000 speakers. The Kii presentation was in a large room, with plenty of chairs. The explanation of what they can do, and how they achieve this, was straight to the point and backed up by a demo.

I was very impressed by the Kii Three speakers and then found the Audio Note room. It was great to go from the latest digital equipment to some of the best analogue gear you can buy. The Audio Note set-up was in a hotel bedroom, but you could still hear the quality of the valve kit being demoed. I am glad there were only a three of us in it though.

The Yamaha NS-5000s were pretty fab as well. They were demoed in a largish room along with other Yamaha gear, although I didn't stay so long.

Funnily enough it was a completely different set of speakers which stuck in my head when I left the exhibition - a pair of immaculate vintage JBL 4312B Control Monitors.

Haven't been to one of the show's Special Events yet, although I was tempted to listen to the musicians from the Art of Noise.

I went on Sunday afternoon last year and it was fine. There weren't too many people. Given most of the demos are in hotel bedrooms, this was important. I have been to mobbed exhibitions before and they aren't fun.

This year I will focus a bit more on the headphones and DACs. There are a lot of the former you can try out.

Jack

Last edited:
I went Friday last year, also to hear the Kii3s predominantly...and they were fabulous. Kudos were another stand out for me.

TBH it was like the Marie Celeste - very few people (at least on Friday), which meant the rooms were easily accessible but I did feel a bit self-conscious - I was often the only one in there.

Not shopping this year - I hope! - but will be interested to hear the D&D 8c.

I'd also be very grateful if the exhibitors didn't continually shoot themselves in the foot by talking sh*te loudly to their mates in the room about what they ate in Nandos last night etc. while I'm trying to listen to their wares!

You're right, there were some exhibitors who shouted unending rubbish to their mates while music was coming out of the units they were demonstrating.

Jack

glad you posted this thread , they will be having the schiit stuff there of which i have recently bought 2 pre amps and they are rather good really for the money

I went to the first one, to see the photo exhibition. Spent a couple of hours there, listening to Quad and the new Dynaudio Contour range. Both superb rooms. Also had a chat with the Onkyo/Pioneer head of marketing lady.

Was also thinking of going to hear Antonio Forcione. His guitars are made by a chap up the road from me, who made my son a lovely thing for his 18th.

The thought of going is unlikely to turn into action. I really would have to be at a loose end.

Ah, thanks a lot, I’m in London so may go. Presumably you’ve pre-booked your tickets?

I think I looked a few weeks ago and saw it was £15 entrance fee, so I’ll go check their website then.

Cheers...Dave

Ah, thanks a lot, I’m in London so may go. Presumably you’ve pre-booked your tickets?

I think I looked a few weeks ago and saw it was £15 entrance fee, so I’ll go check their website then.

Cheers...Dave

Booked in advance for £10.

£15 on the door

Really looking forward to this, not too far from me, the wife's working abroad and I've got some spare annual leave so Ive booked every day. Also going to go to the James lavelle, Antonio forcione, bohemian rhapsody and art of noise special events. Maybe Beth Neilsen Chapman too..?
Hopefully pick up some vinyl whilst there as well. Then hide the debit card statement from her masters voice..

Going on Sunday, and got ticket for Antonio Forcione.
Seems you can now get a rebate on your ticket price.
They announced today that they're reducing ticket prices for the events which now give you free entry as well.

I went there when it was Indulgence. The Headphone bit was fine, the rest was rather empty

A good number of free tickets available for each day here (thank you to the Evening Standard London folks!)

I've booked for every day since it's around a 10 min walk from home, though I have a gig already Saturday's evening (Julien Baker @ The Bush). I may book for James Lavelle as I used to be really impressed by UNKLE - I'll have a think about that!

advertisement

Back