advertisement

Favourite Tchaikovsky violin concerto recording?

In regard to the musicianship of particular performing artists being recorded....(comparing the individual 'human interpretative contributions' from either say a pianist or violinist) : a violinist has a far greater advantage. They can easily quickly adjust the quality of the sound of their instrument , using their own personal judgement 'on the spot'.
Imagine a pianist...saying " Before I start to play...hang on a minute. I am just going to get out the tools , climb around and first re-tune the piano!"

Long ago I stopped looking for 'this or that best performance' of many classical works .
With our music collections getting more and more insanely larger ,there has been so many versions available , we can compare. To observe the changing trends in Artists' performance style, technique and approach -down through the years. All are to be admired and appreciated.

Imagine, living back in the day when a lot of these works were being composed. Audiences were lucky to hear a performance -live . And then perhaps -only once maybe twice in their own lifetime.

Though I've always loved Tchaikovsky, there are many other great concertos. My favourite is the Sibelius but I do often listen to Barber, Korngold, the Bruch Concertos,Shostakovich and Mozart(No 3 is wonderful and may just be the greatest).

One very special recording is the Barber with Bernstein and Stern.Almost perfect.
Let's not forget also the Violin Concertos by Prokofiev ( both 1 &2) , Mendelsohn, Walton, Britten , Khachaturian, Bruch's or Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole . Yesterday I was playing Pinchas Zuckerman's version of the abovementioned Lalo -on a Sony /CBS 'Sony Essentials' budget -priced CD.I have seen him perform live -chamber works. I must admit that in the past , I have tended to overlook Zuckerman as a 'dazzling star front -runner'. Misjudging and under-rating him against other more promoted artists.
Listening though , to examples tlike the Lalo performance: instead , Zuckerman turns in some jaw-dropping truly -unbelievable virtuoso technique work.
He therefore joins a group of artists known and appreciated - where although having all the fire - brand capabilities of performing technique "to show off and burn the place -down " , keeps such things in reserve for musical passages that truly demand such a display.
Another performer reputed too, for the same aspect and physical capabilities was Geza Anda - the famed Mozart pianist.

Too true. There's a plethora of interesting works out there and I do agree with your Zuckerman comments. He seemed a modest chap who let the music speak for itself. I really don't listen to many of the more modern players but I do love Vengerov's recording of Prokofiev and Shostakovich's first Violin Concertos. I'm especially enamoured with his passionate playing of the Shostakovich where his playing seems to light the music from within . Truly stunning. This is unusual as I find him detached in some other works. Perhaps the conductor Rostropovich inspired him to greater depths.

advertisement

Back