advertisement

Favourite soaps and body washes including glycerin-free.

les24preludes

pfm Member
Maybe more of a female thing, but us lads have to wash as well....

So name your favourite washes for hands, shower and bath. Shampoos as well.

I'd specially like to know about glycerin-free washes. Glycerin drives me mad - greasy and oily stuff, and made from palm oil which is a big cause of deforestation.

Maybe more of a female thing, but us lads have to wash as well....

So name your favourite washes for hands, shower and bath. Shampoos as well.

I'd specially like to know about glycerin-free washes. Glycerin drives me mad - greasy and oily stuff, and made from palm oil which is a big cause of deforestation.
I'm not sure what you know about chemistry, and I don't want to talk down to anyone, but glycerine is made from any fats and oils that are hydrolysed into soaps. Fats are generally triglycerides, meaning 3 fatty acid chains attached to a glycerol backbone, the whole thing being shaped like a capital "E". The 3 fatty acids are stripped off and turned into (typically) sodium salts, which are soaps, and the glycerol backbone is the glycerol. This applies to animal fats, veg fats, palm, coconut, sunfloewer, anything.
Ever been to a Hi-Fi Show? 🤔

...moving on. Don't know if it's glycerine free or not, but I've always liked Wright's Coal Tar Soap. Unfortunately her indoors thinks it smells disgusting. :(
I like coal tar too, I think men generally do. It smells clean and sufficiently oily that it doesn't threaten our masculinity. Men don't want to smell of roses, if we smell of creosote after having a wash, well, that's the price of being clean. Soap will always contain a trace of glycerol as a result of the manufacturing process. Some soaps may add it back in because it makes the soap softer and makes it feel more slippery, which some people like.

Generally whatever weird soap from Lush my OH was gifted last Xmas or birthday by desperate relatives.

At the moment I'm working through a bar of sulphur soap a neighbour gifted us - or the farty soap as it's become known because it's distinctive fragrance...

I'm not sure what you know about chemistry, and I don't want to talk down to anyone, but glycerine is made from any fats and oils that are hydrolysed into soaps.

Ah! A chemist.... Great. By all means talk down and show off your knowledge - much appreciated.

So I don't like the fatty oily residue that "moisturising washes" leave on the skin. Someone said "just use soap", so are there specific soaps that are glycerin free? I like coal tar soap if that's one. But ingredients say it contains glycerin. Seems almost impossible to avoid.

Sebamed

I don't care for products aimed at men. They all have a "fresh" or "woody" vibe going on as though we are simple creatures who all want to smell the same as our "mates".
I use the French olive oil based soap you can buy on Ebay - it comes in dozens of different 'flavours' (haha) and doesn't seem hard on my skin. I also use a facial scub in the shower every other day.
If you made me choose a supermarket product, then Dove Clean Comfort seems less vile than the rest.
I use either Simple or Mumm unscented antiperspirant and then fragrance of the day depending on the season, the occasion and my mood.

Go with what sounds best in your room, possibly consider some treatment.

I used to love Pears soap, reminds me of my gran's house. Opaque shiny amber stuff. Maybe that's why I like amber leds on kit.

It's all connected

Bloody hell

I use simple or sanex shower gels these days, find I'm hit and miss with skin reactions to others and they seem fine.

I use Dove for everything, hair, face, body. I've also used it for shaving, with a brush, and it works OK for that too. "Normal" soaps make my skin feel dry afterwards. Someone explained to me once that technically Dove is not "soap" but "detergent," and is therefore better for the skin. Steve67 will know.

Reactions: gez
Olive oil soap is nice - i bought several years worth in Syria for pennies - excellent stuff

I like coal tar too, I think men generally do. It smells clean and sufficiently oily that it doesn't threaten our masculinity. Men don't want to smell of roses, if we smell of creosote after having a wash, well, that's the price of being clean.
How awful. Men generally enjoy smelling of creosote?
I'm delighted to say that my masculinity is not quite so in need of support.

Dove.

Simply because when I first had a water softener installed most soaps were too slippery for the shower floor and it was easy to slip over, I guess they are made to compensate for the water. Dove feels the safest!

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom