advertisement

Favourite Miles Davis Albums?

If you look at the key influences on the best jazz being made, say in 1975 or even 1995 or 2024 in my view, a good deal of that can also be traced back to Ornette. His trajectory from to The Shape of Jazz to Come to Free Jazz to the Prime Time years, Dancing in Your Head then Sound Grammar is, while maybe being less accessible (musically or intellectually) , are at least as influential as Davis.

I‘m on my way home after a morning’s record shopping and I have in my bag, amongst other things, what appears to be a US 1st press of Dancing In Your Head…

I‘m on my way home after a morning’s record shopping and I have in my bag, amongst other things, what appears to be a US 1st press of Dancing In Your Head…
I love that record, although the track with the Master Musicians Of Jajouka promises more than it delivers.

You should also seek out 'Of Human Feelings' (my intro to Ornette and Prime Time) , 'Virgin Beauty' (featuring Jerry Garcia on 3 tracks) and 'Song X' (with Pat Metheny)

I saw Prime Time at the North Sea Jazz Festival in the late 80s. The waft of "herb" smoke that emanated from their dressing room as they took to the stage was quite something!

I have this book which are her own photos and text https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Wishes-Intimate-Look-Greats/dp/0810972352/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

815csqyYB5L._SL1500_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Dancing In Your Head spinning now. It is indeed a US 1st press (Discogs). Far from the flattest record I’ve seen, but it is immaculate condition and sounds great. I suspect the original owner never got more than a couple of minutes into it. Quite the racket and I admire just how irritating the main riff is! Definitely a keeper. £20 well spent (King Bee, Chorlton).

I do not like Miles Davis particularly – I bought Kind of Blue just to know what the reviewers were talking about in the late 80’s. So I have this record and that’s it. It’s alright, but the recording leaves much to be desired. No way this will be used as a dem record.

I do not like Miles Davis particularly – I bought Kind of Blue just to know what the reviewers were talking about in the late 80’s. So I have this record and that’s it.

You need to explore a lot further than that before writing him off. He was a moving target.

My personal recommendations from KOB would be Someday My Prince Will Come, Nefertiti, In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, On The Corner and Agharta/Pangaea. That’s arguably a fairly ”difficult” trajectory post In A Silent Way, but for me that‘s where the most rewarding stuff lies. Visceral sludge-funk grooves with a strong crossover with the more out-there Krautrock somehow. I came to it quite late and it totally changed the way I looked at fusion.

I do not like Miles Davis particularly – I bought Kind of Blue just to know what the reviewers were talking about in the late 80’s. So I have this record and that’s it. It’s alright, but the recording leaves much to be desired. No way this will be used as a dem record.
That's my only regular dem record and always the first thing I play on any new piece of kit!! 😂

Different strokes ....

Do you actually like Jazz?

I think it’s a pretty good sounding record but it’s obviously limited by the technology & budget allocated to it.

I’m not a fan of the fusion stuff which Tony goes for but it’s a pretty broad church.

Yes I love classic jazz. Not especially the fusion kind, although I did like Uzeb back in the early 80’s.

advertisement

Back