advertisement

Favourite Miles Davis Albums?

All the above :) but can I put in a mention for Star People? I got it years ago for some reason, when I didn't really know much or buy much jazz, and still play it especially the title track. It's good to hear Miles dig in to the blues.

If I had to pick only one.... Live at the Fillmore East, March 7th 1970 - It's About That Time.

Maybe a controversial view, but I don't love electric Miles in the way love the two great quintets. I admire the electric stuff, find it intellectually interesting but don't connect with it as emotionally as the quintets. I feel the way about late period Picasso - admire the paintings technically and in terms of the sheer quantity and quality of the work but find it quite cold emotionally by comparison with earlier work.

If I had to choose Coltrane or Davis I'd take Coltrane.

And of course neither of them are Bach but we'll leave that for another day.

Sketches of Spain was at least as much a Gill Evans record.

All the Gill Evans albums are wonderful. Sketches of Spain is maybe the most popular but for me the others contain the real riches. Miles Ahead, Porgy and Bess and Quiet Nights. They're all in a big box with extra tracks: Miles Davis & Gil Evans: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings. That's a box set well worth having.

This is a tough one. I have and love almost all of his music. It would be easier to say which period/albums are my lesser favorites. They would be the very early Miles, the stuff with Gil Evans and the 1980s output. Everything else is great, it only depends on my mood at the time.

All the Gill Evans albums are wonderful. Sketches of Spain is maybe the most popular but for me the others contain the real riches. Miles Ahead, Porgy and Bess and Quiet Nights. They're all in a big box with extra tracks: Miles Davis & Gil Evans: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings. That's a box set well worth having.
Yes, I have the albums, Porgy & Bess is probably my favourite. I have a Gill Evans big band record, can’t remember the title.

I went in pretty hard in my Miles Davis phase;)

Yes, I have the albums, Porgy & Bess is probably my favourite. I have a Gill Evans big band record, can’t remember the title.

I went in pretty hard in my Miles Davis phase;)

I've a double album orchestral thing from Gil Evans rarely play it but it has a marvellous cover, think it's Out Of The Cool, must play it again soon.

Bill Evans' stuff is amazing he's definitely up there with Davis and Coltrane IMO.

I really like One Day My Price Will Come and ESP, I used to really like Birth Of The Cool but I played so much that I can't listen it now, don't really like the singing to be honest.

Not my favourite, far from it, but I find it interesting that he would make a record such as You're Under Arrest. It is as if he's had enough of the experimentation and maybe he agreed with the notion that jazz had disappeared up its own ah. He saying that he's done it all, I think and he's clearly going back to melodies and 'new standards' such as Time after Time...

Not my favourite, far from it, but I find it interesting that he would make a record such as You're Under Arrest. It is as if he's had enough of the experimentation and maybe he agreed with the notion that jazz had disappeared up its own ah. He's clearly going back to melodies and 'new standards' such as Time after Time...

I love Time After Time Gav, he's amazing on it, better than the original vocal version although I like it too, was listening to Jazz FM the other day and there was a Michael Jackson song being played by a Jazz artist I think it might have been MD but not sure anyway it was much better than the original vocal version too. Actually thinking about it was probably Human Nature, amazing.

Live at the Isle of Wight,I was there.

The whole Isle of Wight performance can be found on sides B and C of Bitches Brew Live. Side A has his Newport Jazz Festival gig from the previous year. It's a great album.

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

I've a double album orchestral thing from Gil Evans rarely play it but it has a marvellous cover, think it's Out Of The Cool, must play it again soon.

Bill Evans' stuff is amazing he's definitely up there with Davis and Coltrane IMO.

I really like One Day My Price Will Come and ESP, I used to really like Birth Of The Cool but I played so much that I can't listen it now, don't really like the singing to be honest.
Birth of the cool is a funny one, let’s just say Davis probably had the least to do with the music but he got the group together & his name on the cover. He was very good at this.

My main touch points move around a little but Monk, Mingus, Armstrong, Ellington & Evans stay pretty constant. We will never see another era like it whereby actual geniuses played together regularly.

advertisement

Back