advertisement

Favourite line from a song

I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment, I could be you
Yes, I wish that for just one time, you could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a drag it is to see you

Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street (last verse)

Local variation perhaps? The version I quoted was the one I heard as a kid in south Liverpool. I lived not far from John Lennon's childhood home on Menlove Avenue and went to the same school as him, Quarry Bank although he had left by the time I started.

Local variation perhaps? The version I quoted was the one I heard as a kid in south Liverpool. I lived not far from John Lennon's childhood home on Menlove Avenue and went to the same school as him, Quarry Bank although he had left by the time I started.

Certainly. I wasn't questioning the accuracy of your recall. :)

Just for the record, this line is not a Lennon original but taken from a rhyme that school kids used in Liverpool in the 60's, the full text of which went as follows :

"Yellow matter custard, green snot pie all mixed up in a dead dog's eye. Slap it on a butty, slap it on thick and wash it down with a cup of cold sick."

There are numerous reference in Beatles songs to rhymes and phrases used in Liverpool at the time some of which were a bit rude, "finger pie" for example :eek:

We used it in Manchester earlier the same era. I was at primary school until 1963.

The line that sprang to mind instantly and I am not proud of this...

"But a woman's needs are manifold and Sue she married Ted"

Benny Hill, "Ernie, the fastest milkman in the West".

For brevity, moving the plot along, overall elegance and rhythm (say the words out loud), it stays with me always

Life's a long song, but the tune ends too soon for us all (Tull, Life's a Long Song)

I caught sight of my reflection, I caught it in the window, I saw the darkness in my heart (P Gabriel, Blood of Eden)

True, but they were respectful about it.

What, blatently ripping off the old blues guys without credit and refusing to hand over any royalties. Nothing respectful about that, in fact some people say there was only original song on the the first LZ album.

What, blatently ripping off the old blues guys without credit and refusing to hand over any royalties. Nothing respectful about that, in fact some people say there was only original song on the the first LZ album.

Do you think Robert Johnson invented the blues out of nothing? How much of what he did was based on the work of other, forgotten musicians? That's how music is. You hear stuff growing up and it influences you. Inevitably there is an element of copying in the process, but as long as you add enough originality that's ok.

Some of Zep's songs are credited or jointly credited to others, such as Willie Dixon and Howlin' Wolf.

advertisement

Back